Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Closed Thread

Old 10th January 2019, 08:37 PM   #211
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Reference, please.
Семенов А.А. Два слова о ковке среднеазиатского оружия / Живая старина. Спб., 1909

Semenov A.A. Two words about forging Central Asian weapons / Jivaja starina. Spb., 1909

Oddly enough - this is a Russian researcher

The same information in a private conversation was confirmed to me by an employee of one of the largest museums of Turkmenistan - Sopiyev Allanazar.
Old 10th January 2019, 10:36 PM   #212
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Mahratt……………it surely must be simple for those living in Bukhara and environs...…..so apparently they are not termed shashkas there I am not aware of anything on Bukharen arms aside from Torben's work, but as you say, that certainly does not mean it is the only work on them. As you have pointed out there are many dialects and languages in the diverse population in Central Asia....is this an exclusively Bukharen term or more broadly, Uzbek?

Thank you for the reference. I assumed it would be by a Russian researcher. I think, as I have noted, researchers by their nature work hard to find and present accurate information. They would not benefit by simply glossing over facts or key information, but they are subject to the laws of humanity..everyone makes misteakes Personally I welcome correction or more pertinant data as learning is what research is all about.

I recall studying some Central Asian swords in the 1941 Danish work by Triikman & Jacobsen, "Origins of the Shashka" and seeing some of the unusual edged weapons shown that were part of associated material. I tried to find one of the references listed which was Hungarian and of 1897. I finally got a limited extract from Lebedynsky and was puzzled by the term 'kardok' applied to some of them. Later, through a Hungarian contributor here, I learned that 'kardok' was again, a Hungarian term for sword, or perhaps more broadly, edged weapon.
The 1941 Danish work took some time to have translated by the Danish Arms & Armour Society.

The Laz Bichagi (Black Sea yataghan) was one of the curious swords listed in the work, and I found one like it in the book "Schwert Degen Sabel" (1962, Seifert). It as listed as a Kurdish/Armenian yataghan. In communication with Mt. Seifert of Germany many years back, he told me that his 'mentor', Mr. Holger Jacobsen, had told him that was what this sword was. Thus for years the appelation Kurdish/Armenian yataghan was tagged to these curious recurved swords. When examples were found with Georgian script, contacts in Georgia explained that indeed some of these were known in their regions.

It is very hard to get accurate information, and as I have explained, often takes many years of material which can be revised, updated or completely wrong. I know that I have always tried to keep my notes and material as current and updated as possible, and I think all researchers, without regard for nationality, do the same.

Thank you for the information you provide, and I am grateful to all who participate here in that same accord.
Old 10th January 2019, 11:23 PM   #213
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratt
But just like all the shashkas from the Caucasus are called "shashkas" (regardless of their ethnic names), all the shashkas of Central Asia can and should be called "Bukhara or Central Asia shashkas."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
...…..so apparently they are not termed shashkas there.... :-)
.... which is exactly what this discussion was all about.

So, was this "... tale full of sound and fury" worth it?

There are no tigers in Africa, and no shashkas in Central Asia.
End of story.

Last edited by ariel; 10th January 2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11th January 2019, 12:29 AM   #214
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

This thread has been watched recently for the resurfacing of personality issues and recurring testiness. I think Ariel has correctly opined that we have reached the end of this story. The thread is now closed.

Ian
Closed Thread