Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th December 2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default Tulwar Hilted Kora

Hello again,
Thought you might like to see this, unfortunately quite a bit of silver has been lost from the handle but I think there is still enough left to get a general impression of the decoration. The significance of the engraved figure has so far eluded me or perhaps this decoration has no real meaning and is just that, decoration. If anybody can come up with a possible date it would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 09:43 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

It looks interesting to me, but I will have to have a look - Spiral, any comments?
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Norman McCormick

Hello,
Spiral and friends were kind enough to comment on this piece a while ago on a narrower forum but I hope this won't put him off bashing the keyboard again. Cheers J & A.
Regards,
Norman.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:31 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Norman,
These interesting hybrids are I believe Bengali, and I have been told thier primary purpose was for the sacrifice of doves, however I cannot recall the source of that information. I have seen these catalogued with similar description, but it seems the eye of Kali is typically seen near the blade tip, much as in the ram dao. This weapon appears probably mid 19th century.
Having said that, I will also await Spiral's observations
All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 10:22 PM   #5
spiral

Thankyou guys I am flattered, Ive handled & seem many kora in Nepal in particular but ive not studied them,So havent much to add.

it looks indian, Bengali sounds quite likley but I dont know.

The actual meaning of the "king" figure or who it represents I have no idea.

The crown worn isnt Nepali & i havent seen an Indian one like it either? It looks like an Indian interpritation of a European crown to me.

Obviously the parasol is an old symbol of Indian Royalty & also one of the 8 symbols of Buddhism, {Which Hindus will also happily use.}

I expect the figure & Parasol both had Talismanic properties or at least symbolisation to the man who carved them, & probably decorative value as well & both of those things may have affected the price it was originaly sold for.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 08:48 PM   #6
Norman McCormick

Hello,
Has anyone any opinions as to whether these Tulwar hilted Kora were used as fighting weapons and not just as sacrificial tools. I was always under the impression that the small hole at the top of the hilt in Tulwar type weapons was for a metal ring to enable the use of a sword knot or similar type accessory. If this was the case would it be necessary to have this feature on a blade that was only ever going to be used for ritual sacrifice. I have seen this feature on various different styles of Tulwar hilt so it doesn't seem restricted to a particular area or time period. Wrist type loops would appear to have been used on Indian all steel single handed axes as the examples I've seen, apart from some of the ones with a bulbous end, have an indentation at the base of the grip, I think, to facilitate a wrist binding of some sort. Anybody who has hefted a single handed weapon of any size will know how useful and comfortable a sword knot is and I'm reasonably sure this fact will not have been overlooked by Indian swordsmen.
The above is of course speculation on my part but I would be interested to know the facts if available.
Regards,
Norman.
Old 16th December 2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Jens Nordlunde

If I am not mistaken, what he has in his hand is a boomerang – any comments?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote