Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st April 2012, 04:30 PM   #1
archer

Default Great Information

Definitely, a candidate for Classic threads and tastefully done without that hollow ring to it. Steve
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Definitely, a candidate for Classic threads and tastefully done without that hollow ring to it. Steve
Salaams archer ~ I forgot to add that my last post on origin of species was, in fact, inspired by your post on Saudia/Yemeni weapons.. "Recent Jambiya and a new Khanjar"

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 22nd April 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all ~ Note to Forum library. The only other dagger attributed to a Yemeni style occurs on the border in Southern Oman in the Salalah region (Dhofar). It is worn almost horizontally on a leather belt frontally or just slightly to one side. The silver work is slightly more crisp looking if it has been refurbished by Omani craftsmen.

In fact no other dagger style exists in Oman other than The Omani Khanjar and this Dhofari dagger plus a few assorted work knives; Khanjar blades may be locally made or imported though work knives usually have blades from Europe or the far East ( Sheffield or Solingen or Japan). Unlike Persian or indian weapons Omani khanjars hardly, if ever, have wootz blades (I have never seen one). Preferred are steel laminates.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Old 19th May 2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default ACCOUTREMENTS OF THE KHANJAR; PIPE AND TOBACCO HOLDER.

Salaams all; Note to library;

The extremely rare Omani decorated pipe and tobacco container. Tobacco is grown locally in Oman and can be obtained in plastic empty water bottles in the souk! I am told it is very strong stuff. Rather an understatement as one puff is enough to knock over a horse !
The tobacco holder made from Gazelle horn and silver adorned with a variety of lucky motifs and mathematical charms, bells and trinkets and the pipe mirroring the figure 5 ~ with 5 rings on the stem. Silver representing the moon is in itself talismanic. Mastercrafted by an Omani silversmith. Usually worn looping over the belt or Khanjar. Readers will recall the other uses of Gazelle horn as gunpowder flasks and on the weavers loom to "ram" the wool.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Old 20th May 2012, 05:02 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

I know almost nothing about these various daggers and had not read these posts as a result. I now know much more and recognize an excellent post with good information and questions when I read it. Its very well written and interesting even to one such as I. This is the way its done folks!! definitely a classic. knowlege well organized and written and now preserved.
I almost hate to add this post as it dosen't add to this well written post but I have even refrained from using all caps as I usualy do in respect for this excellent post. kudos!! you research and write very well.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I know almost nothing about these various daggers and had not read these posts as a result. I now know much more and recognize an excellent post with good information and questions when I read it. Its very well written and interesting even to one such as I. This is the way its done folks!! definitely a classic. knowlege well organized and written and now preserved.
I almost hate to add this post as it dosen't add to this well written post but I have even refrained from using all caps as I usualy do in respect for this excellent post. kudos!! you research and write very well.

Salaams VANDOO ~ Thank you for your kind words...Yours are very supportive comments. Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 25th September 2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams all; Note to library;

The extremely rare Omani decorated pipe and tobacco container. Tobacco is grown locally in Oman and can be obtained in plastic empty water bottles in the souk! I am told it is very strong stuff. Rather an understatement as one puff is enough to knock over a horse !
The tobacco holder made from Gazelle horn and silver adorned with a variety of lucky motifs and mathematical charms, bells and trinkets and the pipe mirroring the figure 5 ~ with 5 rings on the stem. Silver representing the moon is in itself talismanic. Mastercrafted by an Omani silversmith. Usually worn looping over the belt or Khanjar. Readers will recall the other uses of Gazelle horn as gunpowder flasks and on the weavers loom to "ram" the wool.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Salaams all ~ Apparently the best tobacco is grown locally and the top stuff is from the Omani Baatinah Coast ~ from Shinas. It is purchased in empty water bottles. Lighting and smoking is done in one hit... and would revive the dead (or knock out a horse!) Strong stuff !!
Here is another style of tobacco container; this time all silver. The second picture is the Mukhallah or Kohl (antimony paste) container and eye applicator..worn on a chain on the Khanjar or Gun belt. This one taken from the design of the 303 blackpowder Enfield bullet and case. Oddly all screw mechanisms on traditional silver worked lids are counterscrew (opposite direction to those in the west.)
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 25th September 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 2nd November 2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams ~ Note to Forum. Adding to the flotilla of Omani Khanjars ~

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Notes;
1. Number 1 was described with a woft of the hand as from the Sharqiyyah Eastern Oman probably Sennau. An unusual chequered style.

2. Number 2 is a Jebali dagger from Salalah.( a slightly mismatched dagger and scabbard.)

3. Number 3 is a 4 ringer of Baatina style with bedouin eyes below the belt section but with the Saidiyya (Al Busaidi dynasty hilt ~ the one designed by the wife of Said Sultan around 1840ish ~ Sheherezad).

4. Number 4 is a new Saidiyyah 7 ringer with gold adornment and a working dagger behind..

5. Number 5 and 6 is completely unusual. This dagger is actually from Kassab in the Mussandam. I met the chap who made it. He copied it from one given him by his grandfather. It has the look of a Muscat Khanjar of Tee shaped hilt with what appears to be 7 rings plus a ring. It has an odd semi precious stone added. This is a very rare animal.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 2nd November 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:19 PM   #9
kahnjar1

Quote:
Salaams ~ Note to Forum. Adding to the flotilla of Omani Khanjars ~

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Notes;
1. Number 1 was described with a woft of the hand as from the Sharqiyyah Eastern Oman probably Sennau. An unusual chequered style.

2. Number 2 is a Jebali dagger from Salalah.( a slightly mismatched dagger and scabbard.)

3. Number 3 is a 4 ringer of Baatina style with bedouin eyes below the belt section but with the Saidiyya (Al Busaidi dynasty hilt ~ the one designed by the wife of Said Sultan around 1840ish ~ Sheherezad).

4. Number 4 is a new Saidiyyah 7 ringer with gold adornment and a working dagger behind..

5. Number 5 and 6 is completely unusual. This dagger is actually from Kassab in the Mussandam. I met the chap who made it. He copied it from one given him by his grandfather. It has the look of a Muscat Khanjar of Tee shaped hilt with what appears to be 7 rings plus a ring. It has an odd semi precious stone added. This is a very rare animal.
Number 2 above is described by Steve Gracie in his book Jambiya Daggers from the Souks of Yemen (Page 149), as "A MADD JAMBIYA" from Lahej region of Yemen. Also on Page 148 there is a photograph dated 1920 of a Yaffa tribesman wearing one of these.
IMHO it shows none of the usual traits of Omani origins.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 03:10 PM   #10
TribalBlades

Quote:
Salaams all ~ Apparently the best tobacco is grown locally and the top stuff is from the Omani Baatinah Coast ~ from Shinas. It is purchased in empty water bottles. Lighting and smoking is done in one hit... and would revive the dead (or knock out a horse!) Strong stuff !!
Here is another style of tobacco container; this time all silver. The second picture is the Mukhallah or Kohl (antimony paste) container and eye applicator..worn on a chain on the Khanjar or Gun belt. This one taken from the design of the 303 blackpowder Enfield bullet and case. Oddly all screw mechanisms on traditional silver worked lids are counterscrew (opposite direction to those in the west.)
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Brother Ibrahiim, you are mistaken. The 2nd pic is not a Kohl and eye applicator. It is a Dokha (Persian Tobacco) container and Omani pipe (Midhwak).

I know this for a fact, from the dhow-bowsprit shape of the pipe. I used to smoke this stuff. Its very common here in the UAE, especially among the teenager groups.
TribalBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalBlades
Brother Ibrahiim, you are mistaken. The 2nd pic is not a Kohl and eye applicator. It is a Dokha (Persian Tobacco) container and Omani pipe (Midhwak).

I know this for a fact, from the dhow-bowsprit shape of the pipe. I used to smoke this stuff. Its very common here in the UAE, especially among the teenager groups.

Salaams TribalBlades IT FLIPPED!! Sorry Chief, the pictures raffled themselves into position so I ought to have made clear the gun cartridge from which the Kohl (antimony paste derivative) which can be either the 303 "Canad"style (SMLE Lee Enfield Birmingham .303 ) or the .303 earlier circa 1890 blackpowder round...OR the earlier shape from the Martini Henry 577 cartridge. The sharing of Kohl applicators was the major cause of conjunctivitis for many decades..before 1970.

The other item is the tobacco pipe and tobacco holder. Well spotted !!!

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.