Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th September 2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Antonio Cejunior

Default A Kris-Tanto or hybridation as an answer

Hi Folks,

Please do check what does this picture is hiding from your eyes.

All you have to do is click on the image to see an entire review.

I'm available to discuss hybridation as a contemporary answer to repetitive shapes. I hope you enjoy this project

Cheers
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Antonio

Very nice. Unfortunately I do not understand why you would combine the two styles? The baca baca on Moro kris have a definate function by keeping the blade anchored to the hilt during combat the tanto use pegs for that same reason. The knife itself is still aesthetically pleasing but the style is total fantasy. Sorry but I like traditional styles better when it comes to enthograhic weapons I am a purest at heart.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 02:20 AM   #3
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Antonio

Very nice. Unfortunately I do not understand why you would combine the two styles? The baca baca on Moro kris have a definate function by keeping the blade anchored to the hilt during combat the tanto use pegs for that same reason. The knife itself is still aesthetically pleasing but the style is total fantasy. Sorry but I like traditional styles better when it comes to enthograhic weapons I am a purest at heart.

Lew
Hi Lew,

Nuff said

Last edited by Antonio Cejunior; 9th September 2007 at 03:23 AM.
Old 8th September 2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Bill M

AC, You sure cross a lot of boundaries! I see that "Paolo is from the Philippines and he is working in Manila." I would be quite interested in responses from his countrymen.

As a collector of Japanese and Philippine weaponry, I also like the more traditional approaches to these pieces and must agree with Lew.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 02:24 AM   #5
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
AC, You sure cross a lot of boundaries! I see that "Paolo is from the Philippines and he is working in Manila." I would be quite interested in responses from his countrymen.

As a collector of Japanese and Philippine weaponry, I also like the more traditional approaches to these pieces and must agree with Lew.
Yeah Bill,

Nuff said

Last edited by Antonio Cejunior; 9th September 2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 9th September 2007, 02:39 AM   #6
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Cejunior
Yeah Bill,

I love to be politically incorrect. I understand that you choose to be close to traditional approaches. It makes one feel safer, huh

Other folks see things differently though, and even if they didn't I would not change my path.

Antonio,

It has nothing to do with safety. It has to do with aesthetics. You like the way your piece looks and so do some of your friends. I have no problem with that.

Your sense of aesthetics is different from mine. Has nothing to do with politically correct or incorrect.

You asked for opinions. Lew and I gave you ours --- Politely.

If you want to carry this matter further in private email, I will be happy to respond, but I am not carrying this any further in a public forum.

Best regards,
Bill
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 03:08 AM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Antonio

I collected and designed custom knives for 20 years before I became interested in antique ethnographic weapons and to me your knife though beautifully made and pleasing to the eye is in my opinion a custom knife. I have many books with that show similar experiments in melding knife designs from two different cultures and these are considered fantasy pieces because historically they would never have been made in that way. I thought forum's purpose was to explore other cultures through their weapons which are unique to each individual groups ethnic and historical indentity. Your piece starts to blurr the lines in my opinion thats all.

Lew

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 9th September 2007 at 03:30 AM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 03:33 AM   #8
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Antonio

I collected and designed custom knives for 20 years before I became interested in antique ethnograhic weapons and to me your knife though beautifully made and pleasing to the eye is in my opinion a custom knife. I have many books with that show similar experiments in melding knife designs from two different cultures and these are considered fantasy pieces because historically they would never have been made in that way. I thought forum's purpose was to explore other cultures through their weapons which are unique to each individual groups enthnic and historical indentity. Your piece starts to blurr the lines in my opinion thats all.

Lew
Thank you for your opinion Lew.
It is obviously a custom knife
I never use books to design anything so I am not conditioned by any other influence.
I am now enlightened that I should have not posted in this forum.
May I ask our kind moderators to please delete my post?
I'm supposed to have blurred the lines of ethnic groups and their historical identity. My bad I suppose
Old 9th September 2007, 03:27 AM   #9
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Antonio,

It has nothing to do with safety. It has to do with aesthetics. You like the way your piece looks and so do some of your friends. I have no problem with that.

Your sense of aesthetics is different from mine. Has nothing to do with politically correct or incorrect.

You asked for opinions. Lew and I gave you ours --- Politely.

If you want to carry this matter further in private email, I will be happy to respond, but I am not carrying this any further in a public forum.

Best regards,
Bill
Bill,

I have removed my early posts because I see you took it as offensive and my intention was not. I think we have a difference of cultures, and while I can speak English it doesn't make me a knowledgeable person in terms of specific culture. For me a dialogue can and should even harbour different views.
If I offended you, my public apologies.

Best,
Antonio
Old 10th September 2007, 01:32 PM   #10
Andrew

I like it, Antonio. Generally, I find most purely Japanese style swords a bit boring. The elements you've incorporated make this interesting for me.

I'm always intrigued at the strong reactions (positive or negative) that art can evoke.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote