Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 17th February 2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Loedjoe

Default Arabic? inscription on a keris hilt

There was such a quick and completely satisfying response from AhmedH to my request for a translation of an inscription on a sikin, that I now send this in the hopes of similar help. (These are the only two photos. I have available of this hilt.)
Attached Images

Loedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 04:19 PM   #2
AhmedH

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for posting this, and sorry for my belated reply; since I've just sit on my computer, now.

Please understand that the Arabic inscriptions you wish to know about are in a frame that takes the shape of a pentagon; with the base of the pentagon being the uppermost side, right?

Now, at the base of the pentagonal frame (which is the uppermost side), there's an inscription that reads:

الله

Translation: "ALLAH".

At the lowermost part of the pentagonal frame, there's an inscription that reads:

محمد

Translation: "Muhammad" [probably referring to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)].

Between those two names (and thus in the middle of the pentagonal frame) are floral or botanical or geometrical decorations that MAY form certain Arabic (or non-Arabic) words. However, I have to admit that I'm unable to read them; as I'm not even sure these are words. However, one could find in the middle of these botanical or geometrical decorations the letter:

د

"d"

I'm very sorry, but the botanical or geometrical decorations are unclear whether they contain words or not. Even if there are words, then these words are unreadable by my own limitations.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Ahmed Helal Hussein
AhmedH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Jentayu

The top reads, ALLAH and the bottom is the name of the Prophet MUHAMAD. The geomatrical design is an abstract name of MUHAMAD too, written in a floral and geomatrical form.
Jentayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Loedjoe

Thank you both very much for this interesting and helpful information. Geometrical designs are notoriously difficult to 'read'. Thank you.
Loedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote