Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th April 2015, 05:54 PM   #1
trenchwarfare

Default Vietnam Souvanir Dha Collection

I've been kinda-sorta collecting these things for years. The first two I got from my wife's grandfather, who brought them back from his time in Southeast Asia. Picked up the pair of smaller ones this weekend, along with the spear whatsitz. Most, were bought in Thailand, while on R&R. I remember my friends dads bringing them home. Found the solid bronze Thai Buddha in the trash this morning. That's what prompted the photos. I've owned quite a few others over the years, but didn't hang on to them. Either badly damaged, or like the heavily carved ones, I just don't like 'em.

The one with the entire scabbard wrapped, is the only one like that I have seen. And one question: What is the marking in the close-up. Looks like initials. Or is it something else?
Attached Images

trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 02:35 PM   #2
trenchwarfare

Apparently nobody likes tourista swords?
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Andrew

Ian posted a great thread on these swords (check out the "classics" sticky thread) some time ago.

Nice collection! I like it.

I bet those are the initials of whomever brought that sword back with them. "BLM"
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 03:42 PM   #4
kronckew

interesting. the 'good' ones are signed and distal tapered. and fairly heavy. the not quite so good ones with light sheet steel cut out blades are decorative even if they should never ever be used to cut something. the very worst ones have ornately carved grips and scabbards to offset the appalling blades. as in all things, you get what you pay for. the locals still buy the good ones to hang by the door for things that go bump in the night, especially the two-legged wolves. they all have relatively short stub tangs that only go in a few inches of the handle, held in by resin. they were like that even when they wer primary weapons centuries back, they work.

yours look more on the good end if the blades are decent steel & properly heat treated and distal tapered. i am a bit leery of the ones with the s-guards like the one on the right. the pointy scabbards are typical thai. the flat or rounded end ones tend to be burmese, tho not exclusively so. cozun sharbs in aranyik, thailand used to offer fully string wound scabbards like yours, so i gather they are common.

i have two krabi krabong dancing swords with string wrapped scabbards and grips. sadly sheet steel blades. they are the equivalent of chinese practice wushu dao.

if you youtube, look up krabi krabong for an idea on how they were used.

my string wound 'dancers' - 2 at top. the lower one is a late 20th c. one for those who travel, but has a good distal tapered & tempered blade & individually braided rattan rings on the grip.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 20th April 2015 at 04:01 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote