Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 24th August 2008, 04:38 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default YOUNGER Keris

Dear All,

I hope this won't make you frowning. These pics are about "younger" style kerises. Or what keris-people call it, keris "nem-neman", or "nom-noman" (youngster). Two kerises -- solonese (paku buwanan style) and one with jogjanese (early hamengku buwanan style)... I hope you enjoy them

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 05:21 AM   #2
ganjawulung

Default CONTEMPORARY Kerises

Dear All,

And these pics below are about contemporary keris making in Solo. The first pic, two students from Institut Seni Indonesia in Solo (Indonesian Arts Institute) were studying making keris under instruction of Empu Subandi Supaningrat -- a young empu of Kraton Surakarta in his "besalen" in Ngringo, Karanganyar just outside of Solo. And also, a contemporary keris-maker Sukamdi with his recent creations of "keris kamardikan" (independence keris) with "two-in one" dhapur, and his very recent creation of "keris gelombang cinta" (wave of love, inspired by the recent popular plant vastly grown among people in Solo, kind of anthurium leave)...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 24th August 2008, 06:53 AM   #3
ganjawulung

Default PAUZAN'S Pamor

Dear All,

This humble gentleman, Empu Pauzan Pusposukadgo -- also once a Kraton Empu and "mantri pande" or 'minister' of Kraton keris maker but now retired, holding his creation of pamor "kalpataru tree" (made in mid 1990-s). His other well-known creation (collaboration) of pamor making is "poleng wengkon" pamor. Poleng wengkon, consists of squarred horizontal and vertical motifs -- designed by a German Dietrich Drescher (I would ask to Ki Jaya Malela, please...). This collaboration, amazed keris people in Java too in 90-s. Bravo! (I took this picture on 5th of August 2008)...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 24th August 2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 24th August 2008, 07:26 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Another image of a kalpataru.

This is the 227th. blade completed by Pak Pauzan, and was completed in Januari 1993.Dhapur jalak sangu tumpeng.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 02:08 PM   #5
sjors

Empu Pauzan Pusposukadgo even wrote a booklet about "poleng wengkon" pamor. I'm proud to say he personally gave me a copy when I visited him in 1992.
Attached Images

sjors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 07:03 PM   #6
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Another image of a kalpataru.

This is the 227th. blade completed by Pak Pauzan, and was completed in Januari 1993.Dhapur jalak sangu tumpeng.
Thanks a lot, Alan, for the accurate info on Pak Pauzan. Yes, he always mentioned you and also Dietrich. Pak Pauzan has a good notes and written documentation of all his past works on keris. Also the names of people who had commissioned kerises to him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjors
Empu Pauzan Pusposukadgo even wrote a booklet about "poleng wengkon" pamor. I'm proud to say he personally gave me a copy when I visited him in 1992.
Exactly, Sjors. He wrote a booklet "Summary on Keris Making" (Ringkasan Pembuatan Keris) -- the fourth edition on 1992. Even his wife had transcripted for him the "keris making" book of the late Empu Singawijaya ("Pandameling Duwung") from javanese or caraka scripture...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 24th August 2008, 07:33 PM   #7
ganjawulung

Default BALI

And this picture below, is showing a Balinese keris maker Pande Ktut Mudra in Kusamba, Klungkung, North-eastern of Bali. Please look at the many sacks of charcoal from teakwood -- "imported" from Java. (Only in java -- especially East Java people are still making charcoal from teakwood that is able to burn iron material more than 1000 degree celsius?)
Attached Images