Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th March 2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default The great Rhino horn debate, show all?

I post this as it is a splendid picture that you can zoom in on. See how it chips like wood. I would say it is only very slightly translucent due to the thin section of the sides of the cup, the base is rather different. I believe there can be considerable colour variations. Perhaps we could examine the pieces we have and discuss why we believe them to be Rhino horn. Maybe see and learn a great deal more?
http://southernsudan.prm.ox.ac.uk/de...49.8.127_a.jpg
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

There are two very good pictures here. One particulary so as it shows the fiberous hair structure.
http://courses.washington.edu/chorda...ntegument2.htm
Old 11th March 2007, 07:16 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

This.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Old 12th March 2007, 05:04 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

THIS MIGHT ALSO BE A GOOD PLACE TO LIST THE MEDICINAL AND MAGICAL PROPERTIES BELIEVED TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH RHINO HORN. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY IT WAS SAID TO STOP BLEEDING AND OF COURSE MAKE ONE POTENT AND GIVE THEM MANY SONS IF POWDED HORN WAS MIXED IN A DRINK. CUPS WERE OFTEN CARVED OUT OF RHINO HORN SO YOU COULD DRINK FROM THEM EVERYDAY AND STAY POTENT WELL INTO OLD AGE. I WILL ALSO TRY AND ATTACH SOME PICTURES OF HORN.

Last edited by VANDOO; 12th March 2007 at 05:30 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Mark

Question

Does anyone know why it is so favored for weapon handles? Is it some inherent quality(ies) of the material, or a talismanic/medicinal quality such as maintaining potency? I don't see it as a particularly attractive material from a decorative point of view.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 04:22 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

I THINK THE POPULARITY OF RHINO HORN COMES MORE FROM THE MAGICAL PROPERTIES THAN FROM THE BEAUTY OR PRACTICAL PROPERTIES OF THE MATERIAL. THE RHINO WAS A IMPRESSIVE,POWERFUL, DANGEROUS BEAST THAT WOULD SOMETIMES ATTACK MOST ANYTHING. UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES HUNTERS WOULD LEAVE A RHINO ALONE AND SEEK EASIER GAME UNLESS HUNTING THEM WAS DONE JUST TO SHOW HOW BRAVE THE INDIVIDUAL WAS.

IN AREAS WHERE THERE WERE NO RHINO STORIES OF THEM WERE TOLD AND THUS LEGENDS AROSE OF THE UNICORN AND ALL ITS MAGICAL POWERS.
MEDICINE AND MAGIC WERE CLOSE TO THE SAME THING IN THOSE DAYS SO VARIOUS PARTS OF THESE MAGICAL BEASTS WERE SAID TO HAVE DIFFERENT VALUES AS CHARMS, FETISH AND MEDICINES. UNICORN HORN, DRAGON BONES, TIGER BONES, GIANT BONES AND ANY OTHER MAGICAL PLANTS, CRYSTALS OR FOSSILS WERE SAID TO HAVE THESE MAGICAL POWERS AND BECAUSE OF THE LEGENDS WERE IN DEMAND. IT IS INTERESTING THAT THE LEGENDARY UNICORN WAS A LAND ANIMAL UNDOUBTABLY THE RHINO BUT THE NARWHALE HORN WAS SOLD AS THE TRUE UNICORN HORN DURING CERTAN TIMES.
IN OMAN THE RHINO HORN IS THE MOST DESIRABLE MATERIAL FOR DAGGER HANDLES BUT I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT IT IS A OLD TRADITION. IN (ABYSSINIA) ETHIOPIA RHINO HORN HANDLES WERE PREFERED IF YOU COULD AFFORD THEM. IN CHINA THE HORNS WERE CARVED INTO ELABORATE CUPS, BEADS AND OTHER ITEMS.
Attached Images

Old 12th March 2007, 04:36 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

JUST FOR FUN HERE IS A 8 FOOT 11 INCH RARE DOUBBLE TUSKED NARWHALE SKULL. THE PICTURES ABOVE ARE OF CHINESE CARVED RHINO HORN DRINKING CUPS I AM SURE THEY WERE NOT USED ALL THE TIME PERHAPS JUST BEFORE BED TO INSURE LOTS OF SONS.
UNFORTUNATELY MY OTHER RHINO PICTURES WON'T COME THRU
Attached Images

Old 12th March 2007, 05:05 PM   #8
tom hyle

In Europe and India the Rhino horn goblets were supposed to either neutralize and/or identify poisons.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 07:54 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

I can understand Rhino horn being used for prestige staffs in Africa. Just getting the horn with simple close range hunting weapons would call for skill and bravery. Like lion claw jewellery it would only be available to the nobility and those who they wanted to reward. I would agree with Mark that it is not the most attractive of material or horn. I am trying to take a picture that shows the matted hair on small area of an artifact I have but I am struggling with ability and equipment. A sword hilt made of Rhino horn must surely relate to the size and power of the beast, the magic mythology and last but not least the very nature of such a wonderful rigid upright horn must impress on a male warriors mind.
Old 12th March 2007, 08:27 PM   #10
RSWORD

Rhino horn made a very practical handle material as rhino horn becomes somewhat sticky when it gets wet. Therefore, sweaty hands stick to the handle versus sliding around for a much better grip. I agree that there were also some magical properties associated but it had a very practical purpose as well.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 08:33 PM   #11
Pukka Bundook

Tim,
Only other positive thing I could add re. rhino horn, is that for a sword handle it does give a very good drip, and doesn't appear to get smooth and 'slick' like cow horn does. I gather it always feels a bit rough, even when wet.
This is just what I'm lead to believe, no first hand knowlege on subject!
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 03:23 AM   #12
Emanuel

Could it be that rhino horn is simply an exotic, rare animal and as such is a luxury commodity? If they had swarmed Africa and Asia, maybe their horns would not have been as sought after.
Would the density of rhino horn be especially unique? Perhaps people liked the weight of it as a handle, in preference to wood, ivory and other types of horns.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 08:26 AM   #13
Tim Simmons

Look at this piece.
http://www.narahaku.go.jp/exhib/2005...hosoin-015.jpg