Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 15th August 2020, 04:08 PM   #1
sirek

Default keris palembang

I'd like to share some pictures with you from one of my Palembang keris, for your enjoyment / feedback….

A sepokal blade with Pamor: keleng, and a sharply defined ada-ada running full length of the blade.
Attached Images

sirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2020, 10:11 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Text book Palembang, however, if we saw this blade alone, by itself only, no dress, what classification (ie, tangguh) would we be forced to give it?
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 11:46 AM   #3
JBG163

Looks like a Balinese blade to my eyes ... But my beginning opinion could surely be wrong hahaha
JBG163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 01:00 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

No, not Bali.
Old 16th August 2020, 01:04 PM   #5
Jean

Not a sepokal blade anyway IMO
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 01:24 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

True Jean, it is not, I'd give it as Sinom Robyong, but the interesting thing is the tannguh that it is not, but in a different suit of clothes, would be.
Old 17th August 2020, 09:36 AM   #7
kai

Quote:
I'd like to share some pictures with you from one of my Palembang keris, for your enjoyment / feedback….
Just to state the obvious: I believe this is a very neat status blade which is also confirmed by the high-quality timber selected for the scabbard crosspiece. (I can't see much of the stem - this may have been covered by a suasa pendok, anyway.)

My guess is that this keris dates back to the early period when the Dutch took over Palembang. However, the hilt and the selut seem to be much younger and of lesser quality. I'd put these in a box and look for a high-quality Palembang hilt to bring this ensemble back to its former glory. Luckily, Palembang hilts are not terribly rare - make sure to find one with a real Palembang selut and of suitable size to the blade though! (I don't recommend trying to upgrade any keris by default; I'm sure this isn't an original ensemble though.)

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2020, 01:13 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Jean & Kai, I do find your comments interesting, but I do not wish to float my own general comments.

This is in my opinion a keris ( I am speaking of the keris itself, not the keris + dress) from which more than a little might be learnt.

Are either of you prepared to nominate a classification, ie, tangguh, for this keris?
Old 17th August 2020, 01:24 PM   #9
Jean

Sirek, what is the length of the bade (excluding the pesi) please?
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2020, 04:59 PM   #10
sirek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Sirek, what is the length of the bade (excluding the pesi) please?
Hi Jean, the length of the blade is 34cm
Attached Images

Old 17th August 2020, 05:35 PM   #11
sirek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Alan,

Well, the square blumbangan points to the Mataram line (including extant offspring substyles). The ron dha are very crisp - most old blades will exhibit worn down and restored greneng.

From the excellent state of preservation, I'd guess that this blade entered a colonial collection right after manufacture; there even seem to be some working scratches left at the base.

I believe that this blade got crafted in Palembang following old Mataram style; if the ri padan were not sharp on the inside curve (difficult to establish from the posted pics - an angled view would help), this would support the notion.

Regards,
Kai
Hello Kai, are these pictures any help?

(and you are absolutely right, the hilt and the selut are of inferior quality and will definitely be replaced in the future )
Attached Images

Old 17th August 2020, 10:37 PM   #12
kai

Quote:
the length of the blade is 34cm
Sorry, some nit-picking: If really measured from gonjo (at the center of the pesi) to the tip of the blade, it will be in the range of 330-335mm - pretty much average if there is any such thing with Palembang blades.

As mentioned, this doesn't mean much: I've handled Palembang blades of this dhapur from close to 200mm (8") to well over 400mm (16")!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote