Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th May 2020, 06:42 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Wayana club?

After selling the bulk of my collection I have finally added to the rump that is left, mainly from the Amazon. I know there is a limited interest in this material but I have to say having collected much from the oceanic regions. Although not antique like the ubiquitous and rather crazy over priced common Fijian ebay fodder, this item is somewhat harder to find. I have one which I posted here some years ago. With the help of a fellow member the most probably origin was Wayana or there about, the borders of the Guyana's unless you know better. The example I have in hand, the photo on stone background, is 95cm long has rhombus formed main club body, though I only show three sides. The new piece to the collection are the sellers pictures. The main body appears to be more rounded rhombus in section and a good deal larger at 127cm long. Looking closely at the photos I think it may be coated in some kind of plant resin lacquer. Pant resin lacquer is also a common way of making pottery waterproof in the absents of low temperature mineral pottery glazes.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 06:59 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Tim,

I can't add useful informations but have to state that I like this Amazon clubs, there is a great variation in style and I am amazed that there are knowledge members who can say from which tribes a particular club coming!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 07:23 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

What I do find interesting is that this new club is the second Amazon club like this piece which I have found in Australia. Makes me think of perhaps missionaries.
Attached Images

Old 2nd June 2020, 06:25 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Well at last it is here and it is a beauty. 1.27m long. shown next to a similar piece. The smaller version is made from a smooth close grained timber. As far as I can tell, not being an expert on timber, the new club is made from a more course grained timber and viewed with a X10 loop what I can see of the end grain appears to be a palm wood. Along with pictures of my club I am adding an example from the Smithsonian Institute to illustrate the difficulties of ageing this type of material from just looking for patina {not wanting to upset people but there is a history of darkening wood for collectors especially, for collectors of African masks} also wood like other organic materials do not oxidize or rust like metals. Anyway food for thought. Now in 2020 material like this if not antique is on the way to being so. Rubber boom , missionaries and other early extractive industries legal and illegal. I just think it is yer baby.
Attached Images

Old 2nd June 2020, 09:02 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Just a postcard 1920 to show what a say.
Attached Images

Old 8th January 2021, 04:59 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

The unravelling binding was just really disturbing me so I took a deep breath and took it of { the act of a vandal?} But doing a bit more research I think I can narrow down the the possible people that it may have originated from. Two examples from the Smithsonian; the Taruma and the Arecuna from the Guyana's and borders.
Attached Images

Old 8th January 2021, 08:16 PM   #7
drac2k

I really like the Amazon clubs as well , even though I don't own any; as previously commented on before, I haven't seen many for sale in the USA, whereas one would think that there would be an abundance due to our relative proximity.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote