Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th June 2006, 10:25 PM   #1
RobT

Default Indonesian Sundang or Philippine Kris?

Hi All,
I am hoping that the keris/kris experts can help me to resolve my questions about this piece. The straight blade is short (only 21" [53.34cm]) but the hilt at 4.75" [12cm] is full size. The flat of the blade has a distal taper of about 3/8". The shaft of the blade appears to have been made by bending a high carbon steel rod into a V shape (for the tip and the edges) around a tapered core of lower carbon steel. What I find strange is the design of the ganja which is far more distinctly separate from the blade proper than I have ever seen on a Philippine kris. The grenning and the elephant's trunk are also more simply done than I have ever seen on a Philippine kris. Could the small size of the blade along with the unusual ganja indicate that this is a sundang from Indonesia rather than a Philippine kris? I should mention that the baca baca (or asing asing [I don't know which term is correct.]) are not original to the piece.
Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 11:14 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Moro kris

Hi Rob:

I think this is an old Moro kris, probably from the Sulu Archipelago. The scabbard appears to be more recent than the blade. Others can elaborate more fully on the particular features of this kris.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 01:50 AM   #3
kai

Hello Rob,

I'm also thinking Sulu here - I'm not positive though.

The fretwork seems to be somewhat roughly done, especially at the lower gangya area (e. g. a few short-cuts). Possibly a "villager" model for a poor Moro warrior?

How about reetching the blade?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 01:02 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with Kai and Ian that it is a Sulu blade and a newer scabbard. I am also thinking that the hilt has been rewrapped several times - pieces possibly sold off in the past.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 02:13 AM   #5
RobT

Default Sulu it is then

Hi All,
Thanks for the info. Three for Three for Sulu pretty much nails it.
Kai, the blade is lightly etched but I can't seem to get my camera to pick up damascus patterns. I don't know if this is the fault of the tool (Kodak DC 215 Zoom Digital Camera) or the workman.
Battara, the hilt wrap is vegetable fiber and, if not original, appears to have been there for a long time. When I dismounted the blade prior to replacing the missing baca baca (or asing asing), I found vestages of the old baca baca keeper strips peeking out from below the hilt wrap. Interestingly enough, there is also a brass ferrule below the braided rattan bands. Judging by the verdigris on the brass, I'd say the ferrule, if not original, was there for a long time also. Given the simplicity of the blade, I would be surprised if the hilt was ever ornamented ornately enough to have pieces that could have been sold off.
Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote