Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th February 2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Iain

Default Looking for feedback on an online takouba catalog

Hi Guys,

Some of you may be familiar with the website I run for takouba. Up until now the swords displayed there were organized by the date they were added on a static page. I've always wanted to do something a little more dynamic with the over 50 pieces on display - the current site isn't very useful for finding specific pieces or pieces that fall into the same sort of categories.

Recently I've been working on a catalog system with a database and flexible categories so the swords can be sorted by major parameters. Right now that's ethnic group, blade type, hilt type and blade markings.

Its not 100% complete and not all the swords are migrated yet to the new system, but I thought I'd give a preview here and ask for feedback on what could be useful to fellow collectors when they are using the site.

You can find it here: http://takouba.org/catalog

The system is something I built off a free shopping cart system, if anyone else is interested in using it as a catalog for their own collections, just send me a PM and I'd be happy to share the modifications I made
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 06:51 PM   #2
T. Koch

Hi Ian - that is just a killer system! With the ability to group by a single parameter and then correlate to others, it exactly make it easy to research any sword in relation to your collection. Especially for somebody who might not know a whole lot about takoubas, your system makes him able to go by the simple characteristics of the sword in hand.

Also bloody ingenious to use a simple shopping system for cataloging like that! I hope you feel proud of yourself. (and your collection for that matter... )

Some day when I get a decent camera and a collection of significance, I might get back to you and take you up on your offer, if that's ok?

Best wishes and look forward to see where this goes in the future!

- Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 08:03 PM   #3
kahnjar1

Thumbs up

Hi Iain,
These are not particularly my collecting line, but the concept you have here is brilliant in my opinion. Maybe Members with other extensive collections could do something similar as a resource base for their particular field.
Well done!!
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Atlantia

Oh Bravo Iain!

I've been using photobucket to do something similar and it's not a patch on what you've achieved.

If you do put together 'an idiots guide' then please PM me a copy as I'd love to do something similar with my ecclectic collection.

51 Takouba! An amazing and diverse collection.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Sajen

Very well done! To the others: When I remember correct are not all shown takouba are from Ian. But still a great collection and interesting to look and search! Thank you for this. Will come back to your offer when I find the time to do something similar with my collection.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Iain

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it. I've been thinking of doing something like this for years and its very gratifying to hear your thoughts.

As Detlef rightly points out not all the swords shown are from myself (I wish many of them were!) - some were and have passed onto others and many are there thanks to their kind owners who gave permission to have them shown. Once the curved takouba are also in the system and a few new ones it will be around 60ish I guess listed. On that note, if anyone has takouba in their collection I'm always delighted to have even more listed! I've been thinking to expand the site to include kaskara as well.

Did you find the categories used to be enough coverage? I couldn't think of any other major criteria off the top of my head. Any suggestions for other useful ways to sort them?

Regarding the system - without getting overly technical, if anyone wanted to make use of it in the future it would require some pretty standard grade webhosting (web space, database, perhaps a domain name) and that's about it really - I'd be happy enough to help out with the setup. I can't took too much credit for it as all I did was basically chop out all the shopping cart bits like prices and the order system.
Old 9th February 2013, 11:25 PM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Oh Bravo Iain!

I've been using photobucket to do something similar and it's not a patch on what you've achieved.

If you do put together 'an idiots guide' then please PM me a copy as I'd love to do something similar with my ecclectic collection.

51 Takouba! An amazing and diverse collection.
Hi Gene, Problem with Photobucket is that the pics disappear over time.....
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Gene, Problem with Photobucket is that the pics disappear over time.....
Stu
Yep, one of the main reasons I steer away from online photo hosts. You never know what will happen to your files. Thankfully webhosting is not expensive these days.
Old 10th February 2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Andy Stevens

Hello Iain,
Very nicely done and what a collection! You must be getting short on wall space.....
Andy Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Iain

Hi Andy,

Thanks! I know you get takouba on a semi regular basis passing through your hands - hopefully the site will help out with IDs for you as well.

As for wall space... Many have come and gone. A few will always stick around though. I think I only have about 18-20 on hand at the moment. Have to make room for all the spears on the way.
Old 12th February 2013, 11:43 PM   #11
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Iain,
Thank you, this is nice. - congratulations ! (Once, I would like to do something similar. Or better - once I would need to do the same - I mean to organize the collection...But for me it is impossible due to my infamiliarity with computers world)
Maybe it would emphasize the charge of the site if you add some bibliography ?
Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Iain

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the kind words. You are right, a bibliography is a great idea! I had a list of useful books on the main website, but I should really update and expand it. A project for the weekend.