Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th September 2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default 20thC Folding combination knife 'REMANIT' ID needed

Picked up this old folder today. Beautiful quality, haven't cleaned it up yet so its a bit grubby. Not sure if I'll keep it forever, but I'll enjoy it for a while.
Can anyone ID the maker or help witha date please? The blades are stamped 'REMANIT Rost Frei'.
I'd normally ignore anything marked 'rost frei' as being modern, but this doesn't feel modern to me. Staghorn slabs, Heavy nickel mounts, the 'guards' seem to be some kind of multi purpose grip/tool and are marked 'C12' one one and 'C16' on the other.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 03:12 PM   #2
G. McCormack

I'd say German c. 1950 or so. Or nearby. Pity the blades are buffed- its a lovely piece but I always think buffed finishes cheapen things. Are you going to carry it? Nice antler on it, too.
G. McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 03:59 PM   #3
broadaxe

This is a classic, old-world hunter's pocket knife. Rostfrei = stainless (steel) in German. The different guards (12GA & 16GA) are for removing swelled empty cartridges from shotguns without ejectors. Despite the common belief that stainless steel was available commercially only after WWII, it is not so. First known stainless steel knife was made in 1911 and Germany was almost the only country to produce quality stainless steel knives before WWII.
Similar copies of that pattern were made in large numbers (though of lower quality) in soviet-era Russia, roughly during 1960-1980.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Atlantia

Hi guys, thanks for the info. Anyone know this maker in particular? Sorry for the late reply, been layed a bit low with a heavy cold for a few days.
Cleaning the knife up at the mo, bit grubby, but seems to have survived very well.
Old 2nd October 2009, 06:56 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Hi Gene,
A GOOGLE search of REMANIT suggests that it is a TYPE of stainless steel rather than a maker. Check it out and see what you think.
The knife appears to me to be one designed for use by hunters, as the two claws to remove stuck cartridges would obviously only be of use in this application.
Hows the head??
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Gene,
A GOOGLE search of REMANIT suggests that it is a TYPE of stainless steel rather than a maker. Check it out and see what you think.
The knife appears to me to be one designed for use by hunters, as the two claws to remove stuck cartridges would obviously only be of use in this application.
Hows the head??
Regards Stu
Hello mate,

LOL, my mrs got it last week, and is heavily pregnant so couldn't take much for it poor thing. Just when I thought we'd start to get more than 1/2 hours sleep at a time, I come down with it! I guess it could have been worse (Swine flu not just a heavy cold) but I've felt pretty rough!
Much better now thanks. She is too.

The steel huh? I did see something about a dental alloy... I'll have another look after work, thanks mate.

Regards
gene
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:58 PM   #7
Atlantia

Ah yes, I see...
I don't really aprove of google so try to use Yahoo or bing, but they are fecking awful in comparison.
Can't believe I didn't realise the relevance of C12/C16... I'm going to blame coming down with the cold
Heres a clearer picture, without the flash.
Every blade is marked with a big curved 'REMANIT' and 'Rost Frei' above.
I can't see any makers mark, but the main blade has a 'A' on one side of the remanit logo and an 'L' cradling an 'R' (if that makes sense) on the other.
The file/chisel blade doubles as a lock release for the main blade when its closed.
The frame is made of brass sheets and nickel mounts, the slabs are very finely sliced stag horn.

So, do we now think nearer the begining of the C or still more like 1950s?

OH, and whats the hole in the hoof pick for?

Last edited by Atlantia; 2nd October 2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 3rd October 2009, 01:19 AM   #8
M ELEY

To me, the fittings (right word?) above and below the horn grips look like art-deco style. If you look at the architecture of Nazi Germany during the "30's", you will see flag staff fittings, motorcade decoration, badges of rank, etc, etc, in this neuvo style. Just a complete guess, but perhaps 30's-40's?
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
To me, the fittings (right word?) above and below the horn grips look like art-deco style. If you look at the architecture of Nazi Germany during the "30's", you will see flag staff fittings, motorcade decoration, badges of rank, etc, etc, in this neuvo style. Just a complete guess, but perhaps 30's-40's?
I see what you mean Well 30s-40s would be fine by me.
Old 3rd October 2009, 04:06 PM   #10
Norman McCormick

Hi Gene,
I think the 'hoofpick with the hole' is a can opener.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 04:39 PM   #11
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi Gene,
Regards,
Norman.
A similar device is seen over here in bottle cork openers, for cutting off the lead cover that seals the whine bottles, before you use the screw to open them.
Does this make sense?
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 05:04 PM   #12
fernando

Do you fancy antique combined pocket knives?
How about this botanic setup ... made in Germany for the British market ?
The inscription on the blade reads someone, 158 Strand; maybe the retailer ... or the owner.
The DRGM appoints to a date around 1905.

Fernando

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 3rd October 2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: correction
Old 3rd October 2009, 06:40 PM   #13
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Do you fancy antique combined pocket knives?
How about this botanic setup ... made in Germany for the British market ?
The inscription on the blade reads someone, 158 Strand; maybe the retailer ... or the owner.
The DRGM appoints to a date around 1905.

Fernando

Hi Nando,
Well, I usually don't keep them long as others like them a lot, and I prefer ethnic stuff.
You've got a rather nice 'pruning knife' there!
Unusual for sure and very collectable! Is there a saw blade too?
That particular one was as you say made in Germany for export (and sale by foreign retailers) Do you want to see a near identical one (in fact identical but with a saw) from a book I have?
Regards
Gene
Old 3rd October 2009, 06:42 PM   #14
Atlantia

Quote:
Hi Gene,
Regards,
Norman.

Hi Norman,

it doesn't have a sharp (ish) edge though, it would be murder getting it through a can?

Regards
Gene
Old 3rd October 2009, 06:53 PM   #15
fernando

Hi Gene,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi Nando,
Well, I usually don't keep them long as others like them a lot, and I prefer ethnic stuff.
You've got a rather nice 'pruning knife' there!
Unusual for sure and very collectable! Is there a saw blade too?
That particular one was as you say made in Germany for export (and sale by foreign retailers) Do you want to see a near identical one (in fact identical but with a saw) from a book I have?
Regards
Gene
The thing is that, for already a while i try to find someone interested in these things, so that i can offer this one ... for free. I gave up collecting pocket knives a zillion years ago, and there are a few left that i don't mind giving a way, for only the mailing cost.
... to a known dear forum member, of course.
Fernando
Old 3rd October 2009, 08:06 PM   #16
Norman McCormick

Hi,
Here's a couple of knives with combined can openers and bottle openers at the ready. The top one is my personal everyday knife so quite sharp, the bottom one is from the 'bits and pieces' kitchen drawer, sharp as a butter knife but will still open a can, it's all in the wrist movement.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Old 3rd October 2009, 08:06 PM   #17
fernando

It seems as my pocket knives found a new home .
Fernando
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:28 PM   #18
kahnjar1

Quote:
A similar device is seen over here in bottle cork openers, for cutting off the lead cover that seals the whine bottles, before you use the screw to open them.
Does this make sense?
Fernando
My pick would also be a blade for removing foil tops on wine bottles. The actual pick type "blade" on this knife I think would be for getting stones etc out of horse hoofs (among other things).
Regards Stu
Old 3rd October 2009, 10:55 PM   #19
Atlantia

Sorry Stu, which do you think the hook blade on mine is? (the one with the hole).
And any thoughts on the hole?

Cheers mate
Gene
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:02 PM   #20
Atlantia

Quote:
It seems as my pocket knives found a new home .
Fernando
Thats very generous of your Nando, If I hadn't gone out and missed your post I'd have taken you up on that offer, as it is a lovely and rare old folder.

I have a couple of folding knives that ARE permenant additions to my collection.
I admit this new folder is so nice I might keep it for a while.
Well, unless someone offers me something extra nice for it!
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:07 PM   #21
kahnjar1

Quote:
Sorry Stu, which do you think the hook blade opn mine is? (the one with the hole).
And any thoughts on the hole?

Cheers mate
Gene
Hi Gene,
I was refering to yours. The hook blade I believe is for removing the foil on wine bottles, and the hole COULD be for loosening that nasty wire that you find on champagne bottles....insert the end of the wire in the hole to untwist? I have also seen wire on european stone wine/gin bottles. No doubt at the end of the hunt there was a celebration!!
In my opinion it is NOT for opening cans, as the tool for that requires somthing to grip the rim, as per those shown by Norm.
Feeling any better??
Stu
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:11 PM   #22
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Gene,
I was refering to yours. The hook blade I believe is for removing the foil on wine bottles, and the hole COULD be for loosening that nasty wire that you find on champagne bottles....insert the end of the wire in the hole to untwist? I have also seen wire on european stone wine/gin bottles. No doubt at the end of the hunt there was a celebration!!
Feeling any better??
Stu
LOL, thanks mate I'm fine now. I can take cold cures, my poor mrs can't cos shes sooooo pregnant. Just paracetamol.
Its certainly a nice old knife. Do you want to venture a guess at a date?
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:15 PM   #23
Norman McCormick

Wino's 3 Teetotallers 0
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:21 PM   #24
kahnjar1

Quote:
Wino's 3 Teetotallers 0
DEFINATELY!!
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:24 PM   #25
kahnjar1

Quote:
LOL, thanks mate I'm fine now. I can take cold cures, my poor mrs can't cos shes sooooo pregnant. Just paracetamol.
Its certainly a nice old knife. Do you want to venture a guess at a date?
IF it is German then it would likely be early 20th c (before WW2) or later 20th c. Certainly looks German or at least from the general area.
Stu
Old 4th October 2009, 10:00 AM   #26
M ELEY

I still think it's pre-1940 German art deco, 1920's-30's. Stu is right that it can't be 1940's or it would probably have had Nazi sentiments or markings on it, as even their coins of the period did. Post-Germany was getting away from this style of decoration and architecture, although Hans Scharoun's style remained in his works. I had some pics of some Nazi daggers, specifically the RAD dagger and motor corps daggers, as well as Italian fascist daggers of the 1930's, flag staff fittings, and badges, but I was afriad posting thier pics here from various websites might be offensive to some, so I withheld. In any case, a very nice piece...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 12:21 PM   #27
Atlantia

Gentlemen, sorry its in Japanese, even if you translate it, its not a lot of help, but here is a page with the same knife with carbon blades (half way down the page):
http://www.geocities.jp/akiraknives/...iroiro_old.htm
Old 5th October 2009, 02:03 PM   #28
katana

Quote:
Gentlemen, sorry its in Japanese, even if you translate it, its not a lot of help, but here is a page with the same knife with carbon blades (half way down the page):
http://www.geocities.jp/akiraknives/...iroiro_old.htm

Hi Gene ,
....ANTON WINGEN JR in within the Japanese script. A solingen cutler and knife maker..... He's usually assoc. with an 'Orthello' mark though...perhaps this pattern was made by several Solingen makers. As many have said... does have a pre WW2 look about it

Regards David

Last edited by katana; 5th October 2009 at 02:16 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 06:06 PM   #29
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Gene ,
....ANTON WINGEN JR in within the Japanese script. A solingen cutler and knife maker..... He's usually assoc. with an 'Orthello' mark though...perhaps this pattern was made by several Solingen makers. As many have said... does have a pre WW2 look about it

Regards David

Hi David,

Heres a semi-full translation:

'Sportsman's Knife This knife is quite large.
ANTON WINGEN JR manufacturer name, and is made in Solingen, Germany. This manufacturer, and now you know better OTHELLO (Othello) is known by the name says.

Large and small blades, saws, Korukusukuryuu, Rezabora, serrated, Batendaburedo, in front of the tractor is attached extract of shotgun pellets.
Sutagguhandoru, and bolster people around the individual is indeed part of "Made in Germany" are more like well-built and built, and heavy atmosphere.'

Funnily enough, I found the page while looking to ID another folder made by OTHELLO.
It does seem to indicate that this exact 'model' was made back to the early part of the century. If the steel wasn't stainless I'd have placed it to first quarter straight away.

Regards
Gene
Old 5th October 2009, 08:59 PM   #30
katana

Hi Gene,
thanks for that.

As to the REMANIT as has already been stated, is an alloy of stainless. It was originally named and manufactured by Thyssen Edelstahlwerke AG (a German company).

I cannot find the 'time period' when Remanit was first produced though

All the best
David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote