Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th April 2023, 08:37 AM   #1
JeffS

Default Kampilan sundi symbolism

I recently found an Ebay sleeper kampilan so I finally have a nice old one for my collection. It will be awhile before I get my hands on it in Singapore, but of course I already want to learn everything I can about it. Lots of good reading on the forum (dont forget to use Wayback Machine for pre-crash threads). I feel like I recall discussion, but haven't found it, about the symbolism of the sundi (spikelet). Cato notes that some sources believe it is symbolic of the hornbill while others say it is combat feature. Could be a bit of both... The crescent with the two small round bits has been a common feature for a long long time on these blades. The two bumps seem very specific and the crescent, of course, has deep Islamic meaning. With the horizontal orientation the sundi also looks a bit like a boat with two heads poking up.... I can also sort of see the hornbill feature, but again why the two bumps? Perhaps, like the kaudi on khukuri, the meaning has been lost over time. However, there is a lot more variability in sundi styles and thus flexibility - how is it that the distinct feature of the two bumps, which is presumably a bit of a hassle to include, keeps on keeping on without a well known meaning or purpose?
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2023, 07:03 AM   #2
JeffS

This post didn't catch any takers but figure I should show the sword now that I've received it and had time to clean it up some. I also have a question.

Here is the sundi I was asking about earlier. Note the inset circle below that was revealed by the etch. First I've seen with steel as these inserts are typically brass when they occur. This one would be invisible if not for the etching. Also note the wave pattern and contrast of the etched steel - the sundi looks like a boat on rough water...

Name:  20231017_080428.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  206.1 KB

Full sword
Name:  20231017_080359.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  51.5 KB

And question. What was likely using the second set of holes on the handle shown here? I'm
thinking a second piece of iron but worked with the series of vertical bends we commonly see on kampilan.
Name:  20231017_080456.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  189.9 KB
Name:  20231017_080508.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  174.0 KB
Also the complete hilt, note the brass pins that surround the pommel.
Attached Images

Old 18th October 2023, 03:56 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I think the holes were probably for another iron staple.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2023, 03:08 PM   #4
Interested Party

Beautiful. The crescent and bumps really do look like a ship on the wine dark seas. Sorry I don't know enough to help.
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2023, 01:46 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Jeff,

Very nice kampilan and the etching shows a handsome blade. I agree with Rick that there was probably another staple guard in the holes that are now empty. As far as what the sundi may represent, we may never know because a lot of Moro symbolism is not explained to outsiders. The information is kept close to the culture.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2023, 06:19 PM   #6
Sajen

Nice kampy and good restore job!
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2023, 04:24 PM   #7
JeffS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I agree with Rick that there was probably another staple guard in the holes that are now empty.
Have you seen one with a double staple before? I'm tempted to replace the missing one but not sure what would be correct in terms of design.
Old 21st October 2023, 05:16 AM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Yes, I have one in my collection. The staples (for want of a better word) are made of brass rather than iron or steel. One of them is a cast piece and the other one is a simple hand formed brass staple. I have seen other Kamps with two guards but I haven't seen another like mine with a cast guard, nor have I seen another example with brass rather than iron guards.
The unusual handle is Banati wood and the cross guard is very hard dark Teak.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote