Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th March 2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Sajen

Default A second purchase

Hello All,
I go some risk by my second purchase in last time by e-bay because the pictures not very clear and small. But I believed to see that the handle is from the rare Tridacna clam shell.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260364233430
When it arrived by me some days ago my guesswork are confirmed, but the wrangka of the keris are broken by transport. It need some hours of work to restore it. I give the keris a new hilt and hope that you can confirm that it matching together. I guess that the Gayaman wrangka is more East Java style so I give the keris a handle from my collection from bone or deer horn from East Java or Madura. Blade has dapur Jalak Ruwuh with pamor Sader Saler Wengkon.
Here first pictures from the handle.
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Sajen

And here the Pictures from the broken sheat and the steps of restauration and the new hilt as well as the blade.
regards,
sajen
Attached Images

Old 11th March 2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Henk

Lovely keris. Shame the wronko was broken. Good repair, but take a look at other restorations. The damage became even invisible.

For the hilt, no that's imho not a good match. A simple solo hilt, if possible of the same kind of wood would look much better.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
Lovely keris. Shame the wronko was broken. Good repair, but take a look at other restorations. The damage became even invisible.

For the hilt, no that's imho not a good match. A simple solo hilt, if possible of the same kind of wood would look much better.

Hello Henk,
I am also not very pleased by the repair, but better not possible because a small piece along the breaking egde was missing. The back is many more better.

For the hilt: You think that the wrangka is Middle Java type and not East Java type?
Regards,
Detlef
Old 12th March 2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Henk

Hello Detlef,

Yes, that is what I think. Besides this ukiran looks a bit tiny and out of proportion on this keris.
Old 16th March 2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Hello Detlef,

Yes, that is what I think. Besides this ukiran looks a bit tiny and out of proportion on this keris.

Hello Henk,
here the keris with a planar Solo hilt and a picture of the back-side from the wrangka. This hilt matching better?
Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Old 16th March 2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Sajen

No comments to the Jawa Deman handle from Tridacna?
sajen
Old 16th March 2009, 07:26 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Sajen, i think that the planar hilt looks much better.
As for the tridacna hilt, i guess it'd sort of like the fossillized molar hilts for me in that i am generally not a big fan of them (though i have seen some exceptions). I think that like the molar material this is a rather difficult stuff to work with and usually the results are not very detailed or intricate. Still they tend to be highly prized. Just not usually to my liking.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 08:24 PM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Sajen, i think that the planar hilt looks much better.
As for the tridacna hilt, i guess it'd sort of like the fossillized molar hilts for me in that i am generally not a big fan of them (though i have seen some exceptions). I think that like the molar material this is a rather difficult stuff to work with and usually the results are not very detailed or intricate. Still they tend to be highly prized. Just not usually to my liking.
Hi David,
thank's for comment. I have to agree, the planar hilt looks better.
The tridacna hilt have a very smooth patination and is for a hilt from this material nicely carved for my opinion. But it's a question of taste to like it or not.
sajen
Old 17th March 2009, 06:39 AM   #10
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
No comments to the Jawa Deman handle from Tridacna?
sajen
Sajen i don't like so much tridacna (and elephant tooth) hits because they are very heavy and fragile(and also ...cold to touch). But if i find a tridacna hit i'll try to buy it (of course if its price is good because, in my experience, it's very difficult to find a tridacna) About your hit i like the nice work but i don't like the quality of material for the black and brown spots
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 09:06 AM   #11
Henk

Quote:
Hello Henk,
here the keris with a planar Solo hilt and a picture of the back-side from the wrangka. This hilt matching better?
Regards,
Detlef
Much better. I hope you do agree for yourself as well. Remember, taste is personal.

The repair on the backside of the wrangka is invisible. Great!! Maybe you can try to work on the repair on the frontside to make it invisible as well. Take a look at this link.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=restoration
Old 17th March 2009, 11:43 AM   #12
Alam Shah

Quote:
Hello Henk,
Regards,
Detlef
Personally, I prefer the planar hilt, it looks harmonious compared to the other.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 06:15 PM   #13
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
Sajen i don't like so much tridacna (and elephant tooth) hits because they are very heavy and fragile(and also ...cold to touch). But if i find a tridacna hit i'll try to buy it (of course if its price is good because, in my experience, it's very difficult to find a tridacna) About your hit i like the nice work but i don't like the quality of material for the black and brown spots
Hello Marco,
agree with you, the material isn't very fine, I think it's from the outside of the clam.
sajen
Old 17th March 2009, 06:27 PM   #14
Sajen

Quote:
Much better. I hope you do agree for yourself as well. Remember, taste is personal.

The repair on the backside of the wrangka is invisible. Great!! Maybe you can try to work on the repair on the frontside to make it invisible as well. Take a look at this link.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=restoration
Hello Henk,
I have done already sometimes repairs like this and nearly every time I am happy by my work. Here have been the problem that a small wood seam missing at the fold. But in real it's not so much to see like in the picture. Seems that I have to live with this blemish.
Agree with you, the planar hilt look better.
sajen
Old 17th March 2009, 06:29 PM   #15
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Personally, I prefer the planar hilt, it looks harmonious compared to the other.
Hello Alam,
like before, agree, it's the better choise.
sajen
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:26 AM   #16
Alam Shah

The Tridacna hilt, although not well-carved, is still a nice example. The carving style seems Sumatran, with the simple tumpal incision at the base of the hilt and other features. I reckon the limited supply of this rare hilt material, determined the existing shape. If you ever get bored with this hilt, pm me. I'll give it a new home..
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:51 PM   #17
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
The Tridacna hilt, although not well-carved, is still a nice example. The carving style seems Sumatran, with the simple tumpal incision at the base of the hilt and other features. I reckon the limited supply of this rare hilt material, determined the existing shape. If you ever get bored with this hilt, pm me. I'll give it a new home..
Hello Alam, the hilt have been the reason why I bought this keris. I also think that it is from Sumatra.
Be sure, when I decide to sell it you will be the first who know it!