Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th November 2022, 05:04 PM   #1
Pitt1999

Default Interesting metal hilted knife

I recently obtained this knife in a lot of other less interesting knives. The hilt is some non-ferrous metal, the guard and blade are (obviously) steel. The blade is approximately 6 inches, with the overall length being about 9 1/2 inches. There is a shallow fuller framed by engraving on each side of the blade. Something about this knife makes me think it is of Greek origin but this is just conjecture on my part. I don't have a set place to photograph my pieces yet, so these photos probably aren't that great.
Attached Images

Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 04:00 AM   #2
Pitt1999

No input at all on this knife? I don't recall seeing something similar to this knife before so I thought this piece would drum up some interest. If anyone has a similar piece please post it here. I am currently away from home now so I won't be able to provide any additional photos until Sunday or Monday.
Old 17th November 2022, 07:40 AM   #3
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt1999 View Post
No input at all on this knife? I don't recall seeing something similar to this knife before so I thought this piece would drum up some interest. If anyone has a similar piece please post it here. I am currently away from home now so I won't be able to provide any additional photos until Sunday or Monday.
hi , the knife probably is from north western india, northern pakistan or afghanistan,
the style is afghan but these afghan and central asian influenced metal products penetrait into india somewhat
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 07:49 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well that might explain the type of decor technique used. Often used in the Middle East and into the north India region.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 10:17 AM   #5
kronckew

The grip, guard, pommel, blade root all appear to be soldered together nicely. Cool.
Is the tang thru the pommel & peened?
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 02:07 PM   #6
Pitt1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
The grip, guard, pommel, blade root all appear to be soldered together nicely. Cool.
Is the tang thru the pommel & peened?
The tang is not peened, if my memory serves me there is more decoration on the pommel similar to what is present on the grip.
Old 17th November 2022, 02:21 PM   #7
kronckew

Interesting. Possibly the pommel is a cap that hides a peened tang in the underlying material of the grip. It may have a wood grip under the metal cover, and at least a partial blade tang. An expensive Xray might reveal all.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 09:41 PM   #8
Pitt1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausjulius View Post
hi , the knife probably is from north western india, northern pakistan or afghanistan,
the style is afghan but these afghan and central asian influenced metal products penetrait into india somewhat
I did not even consider this region of the world as a possibility. I'm not familiar with a style of knife from this region that resembles my knife at all, if my knife still had it's sheath I imagine that would make tracking down it's origin much easier.