Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st May 2022, 10:00 PM   #1
Fernando K

Hello

The Scottish model pistols provided by the Crown to the Scottish regiments had a bronze stock and the firing system was the original Scottish, horizontal movement, with a window in the plate that let out an appendage that held the cock in half- cock and that was withdrawn to shoot, not like the specimen in this post, which has a vertical trigger, like in the French lock.
I think it is a modern reproduction. Raf has made it clear that the word TOWER is stamped and we still don't know what material the stock is made of. Maybe it's a reproduction of India, I don't know

Affectionately
Fernando K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 07:21 AM   #2
corrado26

I cannot see the sense of the screws at the ramshorn butt. Normally these are needles to clean the ignition hole but these two items are far too thick for this purpose. So I tend to think that these pistols are fakes
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 09:51 AM   #3
Tordenskiold1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26 View Post
I cannot see the sense of the screws at the ramshorn butt. Normally these are needles to clean the ignition hole but these two items are far too thick for this purpose. So I tend to think that these pistols are fakes
You are absolutley right Udo. The Screws ends in needles that fully penetrates the touch hole. The photo is taken with the pistols up side down so you can see that the needles is well seated in the touch holes. Hope this makes more sense of the "screws" Udo ? :
Attached Images

Last edited by Tordenskiold1721; 2nd May 2022 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Reply
Tordenskiold1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:03 AM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

No proof marks on the barrels, Tordenskiold ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:17 AM   #5
Tordenskiold1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
No proof marks on the barrels, Tordenskiold ?
The only small stamp that this photo magnefies on the inside of rusty greasy barrels are number 4 as seen on this photo. This apears to be assemply numbers:
Attached Images

Old 2nd May 2022, 11:58 AM   #6
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordenskiold1721 View Post
The only small stamp that this photo magnefies on the inside of rusty greasy barrels are number 4 as seen on this photo. This apears to be assemply numbers:
Yes, an assembly number, most certainly. Could you check if the other pistol also has a number in the same place (barrel tang) ?
Old 2nd May 2022, 12:37 PM   #7
Tordenskiold1721

Smile

Quote:
Yes, an assembly number, most certainly. Could you check if the other pistol also has a number in the same place (barrel tang) ?
The photos of several Scottish pistols shows various locking solutions in half cocked and fully cocked position. Thank you for pointing out this variations. I simply found a photo that better ilustrated a pair without any of the locking systems. Anyway the aforementioned is besides the point

Assemply number 4 with a five above:
Attached Images

Last edited by Tordenskiold1721; 2nd May 2022 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Correcting typo
Old 2nd May 2022, 10:45 AM   #8
Tordenskiold1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K View Post
Hello

The Scottish model pistols provided by the Crown to the Scottish regiments had a bronze stock and the firing system was the original Scottish, horizontal movement, with a window in the plate that let out an appendage that held the cock in half- cock and that was withdrawn to shoot, not like the specimen in this post, which has a vertical trigger, like in the French lock.
I think it is a modern reproduction. Raf has made it clear that the word TOWER is stamped and we still don't know what material the stock is made of. Maybe it's a reproduction of India, I don't know

Affectionately
Thank you for taking your time taking a good look at the pistols. It seems to me that the triggers are placed as you describe they should be on Schottish pistols. To answer your question. The pistols are made in all weapons grade steel with the type of pitting and minor rust as can be ecpected.

The black coating that is seen on the inside of the lock and inside the pistol is old oil or grease that is very sticky(it can be confused for unpolished steel on the photo). Photos attached in half and fully cocked. The springs are made well, making the lock fuction well.

The last photo is of a few other pistols signed by well known Gunsmiths, having collected pistols for over 40 years, I have tried to find something wrong with the Tower stamped pistol pair.

After checking the needles on the screws Udo(Corrado) says are not there in fact are there and fuction well and taking the pistols apart, checking Fernados constructions descriptions. I thank Raf for his constructive inputs.

Udo says the screws are just screws when they in reality have needles in the end that penetrates the touch holes and the all steel construction seems right. The inside of the locks are correctly made for the period 1780 - 1810. Based on what I can see, I am asking you humbly, Fernando to inform me your knowledge of who and were and when in India these pistols are made ?
Attached Images

Old 2nd May 2022, 11:15 AM   #9
fernando

Quote:
... It seems to me that the triggers are placed as you describe they should be on Schottish pistols...
I guess that what Fernando K means to say (in his translated post)is this:

Attached Images

Old 2nd May 2022, 11:26 AM   #10
Tordenskiold1721

Quote:
I guess that what Fernando K means to say (in his translated post)is this:

And here are some without your detail, also in all steel:
Attached Images

Last edited by Tordenskiold1721; 2nd May 2022 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Change of half Cocked photo
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:49 AM   #11
fernando

Quote:
And here are some without your detail, also in all steel:
Not 'my' detail, but Fernando K's .
You are right, the pair you show (and edited) have a different system.
Proof marks, if there were, should be on top of the barrel; often those of Birmingham, in Scottish pistols.

Attached Images