Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st December 2023, 10:17 PM   #1
JeffS

Just to add to the discussion. I chatted with Charles Saunders on this topic some time ago while discussing the gayang below, and this was his reply (posted with his permission).
Quote:
[The gayang] Always a very heavy blade, most have a slight curvature, but the real difference is the chiseling on the last quarter of the blade towards the tip. You can see how very different they look from a mandau. They come from the region that we know today as Brunei this one has an extraordinary blade with a clear Muslim influence in the forum motifs running along the top of the blade.

The tilang kamarau is an Iban sword . It’s unique feature is that it is always a curved blade with a unique fuller and with a “stab-able” tip. A jimpul should always have a tip that turns down so abruptly that it is not “stab-able”
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2023, 10:42 PM   #2
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
Just to add to the discussion. I chatted with Charles Saunders on this topic some time ago while discussing the gayang below, and this was his reply (posted with his permission).
Thank you Jeff (and Charles) for the very useful information! Considering this information I guess my sword is a tilang kemarau. But still not 100% sure!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote