Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th July 2020, 01:39 PM   #1
rickystl

Hi Philip

Thread sizing is a good idea. I'll tend to that soon. That could answer some questions.
Meantime, take a look at this old photo sent to me by a shooter/collector friend.
Of course it's a wheellock, but notice the hatchet shaped trigger piece that would simply spread the sear bar inward when the trigger is pulled backwards.
He mentioned that it is believed this lock was from a wheellock/ax combination.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2020, 03:27 PM   #2
Philip

Thanks for providing this! The sear is designed just like on your lock. Did your friend provide any information on where this is from and when?

At this point, following up with the screws should help a lot on resolving the issue. Just because something looks very “fresh” in a photo isn’t enough to pan it. Remember that Spanish shotgun by court gunsmith Miguel de Zegarra I sent you pics of some years ago? Images of the detached lock inside and out look like it could have been made least week.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2020, 03:52 PM   #3
rickystl

Hi Philip

I made an inquiry to him and asked if he has ANY other information on this lock, reference book, etc. I should here soon.

Yes, notice the sear bar is designed the same. But my lock doesn't have ANY provision for mounting a trigger at all. That's why I've started to think the lock was more of a styling exercise, and never expected to fire. But then, why the lock bolt holes/threads ? Duno LOL

Rick
Old 4th August 2020, 06:59 AM   #4
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Philip

I made an inquiry to him and asked if he has ANY other information on this lock, reference book, etc. I should here soon.

Yes, notice the sear bar is designed the same. But my lock doesn't have ANY provision for mounting a trigger at all. That's why I've started to think the lock was more of a styling exercise, and never expected to fire. But then, why the lock bolt holes/threads ? Duno LOL

Rick
But wouldn't the trigger rotate on a pin through the wood of the stock and thus not have to be attached to the lock itself? This is the case with virtually all guns with locks held by bolts to the side of the stock. The only contact with the lock components is where the edge of the trigger pushes (or pulls) the sear arm.
Old 4th August 2020, 05:41 PM   #5
rickystl

Hi Philip

Now that you mention it.......yes. The trigger itself may have just been pinned to the wood stock only. Could very well be the case.

The guy that sent me the pic above says he has more info. as soon as he gets a chance. It's his busy time of the year at the moment. Stay tuned.

It's certainly one of the more interesting locks in my collection.

Rick
Old 8th August 2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Raf

The combined spring and primary sear is a feature of some of the earliest surviving Wheelock’s including of course Leonardo’s famous drawing. You are right that the trigger mechanism should be pinned to the stock otherwise it would not be possible to mount the lock in a functional firearm.
On the question of the spring locking of the rotating pan cover here is a Swedish lock of about 1630. There appears to be something going on with the mechanism on top of the pan cover which suggests a similar locking device. This is I think confirmed by Dell Mars description referring to 'a sprung swivelling fizzen '. From this one might infer that this (sensible) safety device was a feature of some early Baltic locks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Raf; 8th August 2020 at 11:53 PM.
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2020, 06:36 AM   #7
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf
The combined spring and primary sear is a feature of some of the earliest surviving Wheelock’s including of course Leonardo’s famous drawing. .
This combo function is also seen on the Spanish patilla lock (aka miquelet). Of course that type of lock has a half-cock safety so a notched stud that performs that function is attached to a secondary sear arm which is also engaged by the trigger to withdraw the primary sear from full cock.

Another interesting parallel to the patilla is the activation of the cock itself -- via upward pressure of the mainspring against a projection (likened to the heel of a foot, patilla meaning "little foot"). In turn, this same arrangement was used to power the serpentine of the Bohemian Schnapp-Lunte which was the basis for the so-called Indo-Portuguese snap matchlock introduced throughout East Asia in the 16th cent.