Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th November 2023, 09:37 PM   #1
G. Mansfield

In my opinion, this gile is not from Yemen. Rather it is likely from the Djibouti Region with Yemeni influence. Yemen is only 32- kilometers through the Bab al- Mandeb Straight and during the late 19th century, French expansionism had attracted many workers and merchants from Yemen in a significant migration in search of better economic opportunities. By 1927, 45 percent of the population in Djibouti city was of Yemini origin. See attached article for reference. (https://sanaacenter.org/publications...ications/17445). It is also known that many Yemenite Jews had settled in Djibouti at this time known for their skills as silversmiths and craft jewelers, noted for their use of fine granulation and filigree work on Yemeni jambiya. In Yemen the silversmith trade was held almost exclusively by Jews from the 18th – mid 20th century. As with other production centers in the region, it has probably gone through an “assembly line” of skilled tradesmen of different vendors within the local market producing different components and pieced together (bladesmith, silversmith, leatherworker, handle carver, etc.).

As for the blade angle and hilt material, I have attached more photos. The handle is of rhino, not too translucent, only on the outer edges as the horn is quite thick. I have another gile similar although not as elaborate, while most are made of a hardwood, some are horn. The blade is similar to Yemeni jambiya without the large medial ridge through the entirety. The medial ridge here stops short of the point with two concavities present on either side of the ridge. This type of blade can also be seen in Afar spearheads. Here is an example from the British Museum showing a spear blade in similar form. https://www.britishmuseum.org/collec...Af1913-1211-39

-Geoffrey
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2023, 09:41 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Geoffrey, thanks for those well supported comments. A Yemeni influenced, locally made gile makes sense for the reasons you note.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2023, 10:02 PM   #3
roanoa

Amazing. Keeping in mind that most of the silverwork found in Eritrea comes from Yemen (just across the Red Sea), it is no surprise that the silver decorations found on daggers/knives from the Afar/Dankali clans can be traced there. I agree that in this particular case, we can talk about an Yemeni Jambiya influence. Certainly in the blade shape. Nevertheless, I believe this 3example to be "African" more than "Asian (Arabian)". I wish to add pictures of an unusually "silver rich" Gile of mine.i
Attached Images

roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2023, 04:35 PM   #4
G. Mansfield

Thank you for sharing those beautiful giles from your collection, Ron. I am assuming it is the same one that was previously sold at Czerny's Auction? Note the similarities, including the inset glass beads also seen on Arabian dharia. Is the blade made from a file on your example?
Attached Images

Last edited by G. Mansfield; 8th December 2023 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Error
G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2023, 11:56 PM   #5
roanoa

Yrs, that's where it came from. Great unusual piece.
roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote