Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th March 2021, 02:34 PM   #1
David R

Default Help and comments on an Axe head

I bought this years ago from a dealer in oddments and antiques. Evidently of some age, hand forged in the classic wrap around construction. If it had not a makers stamp I would have judged it to be Medieval, any ideas?
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2021, 11:08 PM   #2
M ELEY

Hello David and good to see you on this side of the Forum! I'm no expert, but I think these are Spanish 'Biscayne'-type trade ax heads. I know they look like early Viking pieces, but I've seen the early Spanish types with this pattern. See 'Swords and Blades of the American Revolution', Neumann, pg 262, example 16A. They have what I call a 'droopy' blade. There are Iroquois axes with similar blades, but I think this is a trade blade. There was a wide time period for this, from the 1600's literally up to about 1850. Where did you find it?
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 12:06 AM   #3
David R

It being a trade axe makes a lot of sense, and explains the simple fabrication and old style shape. Thank you!.

I bought it off a stall at a reenactment fair. The vendor known as "Bodger" dealt in all sorts of stuff, broken sword blades,axes, daggers and whatever. His stock was a mix of random antiques, remounted blades and bespoke reproductions. It was always worth a trawl over his table.
This one had a literal branch stuffed in it as a handle..... and I do mean a branch, not a decent piece of branch wood as you see on ethnic items.
Old 17th March 2021, 12:23 AM   #4
M ELEY

Ha! It's always incredible where some of this stuff turns up! As it is a Spanish trade item, I'm guessing it to be around 1800 or so, assuming it was over here and not in one of the numerous other Spanish colonial trade spots. Before the Mexican Revolution, such items were still being brought over. I usually don't like seeing rough items with maker's marks, but for trade items, it's a whole different story for collectors. One can possibly research and find where the item was made, when it was smithed, etc. My Native American knife I posted recently has an illegible trade maker mark. You will note yours has a steel bit, so it was better quality. The eye being triangle-shaped and blunt on one side puts this one in the 'pole ax' category, even though it doesn't have the classic hammer-style extension. Nice find for a Renaissance Fair!!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 10:52 AM   #5
David R

"Ha! It's always incredible where some of this stuff turns up! As it is a Spanish trade item, I'm guessing it to be around 1800 or so, assuming it was over here and not in one of the numerous other Spanish colonial trade spots. Before the Mexican Revolution, such items were still being brought over"

Well,in my case "over here" is the United Kingdom" so goodness knows how it got here, knowing Bodger he could have bought it in Spain. More likely though from a dealer or fair in one of our port cities like Bristol or Colchester......
That said he regularly went on fishing holidays in West Africa!
Old 17th March 2021, 01:00 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

David, can't you work out what those letters on the blade are ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 01:36 PM   #7
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
David, can't you work out what those letters on the blade are ?
Some but not all... it looks like, < ?ARENC> (or ?ARENG) and underneath DARIED or perhaps OARIEO.

They are somewhat obscured by oxidation, and my eyes are not what they were, even using a lense.

It is, as an aside a very sharp axe. I used it as my camp axe on a few occasions.
Attached Images

Last edited by David R; 17th March 2021 at 01:48 PM.