Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th June 2020, 10:08 AM   #1
GePi

Default An Uzbek pichaq for comment and request for translation of inscription

It has been a while since I posted something, so here goes.

This is a large Uzbek knife that has come into my collection last year. It sports a very nice wootz blade, which I gave a light repolish and etch. The grip is made of one piece of walrus ivory and is separated from the bolster by a band of inlaid turquoises, unfortunately with a few losses. The silver bolster has typical niello decoration and additionally sports a cartouche on the underside, also executed in niello.

Now I have tried my darndest to decipher the cartouche myself, but I cannot make any headway. I can make out the 'amal' in the lower right corner, so I am pretty certain it is a maker's mark, and also the numbers 129 at 12 o'clock (read as 1129 AH this would correspond to 1717 AD which would be rather early).
I would be very grateful if someone more proficient could give this a try.
Attached Images

GePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 10:35 AM   #2
Peter Andeweg

Interesting example, could the blade been made from a cut down yataghan? the fuller seems to run through down the tip. The date is later than 1717, more likely around 1800 or later.
Nice example though!

Peter
Peter Andeweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 10:54 AM   #3
GePi

Thanks!
I do not think that the blade is cut down, take a look at this example from Czerny's (also re-sold on oriental-arms recently), which has an identical arrangement of the fullers.
I agree on the dating though, perhaps I am interpreting the numbers wrongly
Attached Images

Old 8th June 2020, 11:07 AM   #4
kwiatek

I think it says:

عمل استا بلال خوقندی ۱۲۷۹

"Work of Usta (Master) Bilal Khuqandi 1279 (1862-3)"

This locates it in Kokand in eastern Uzbekistan
kwiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 11:19 AM   #5
GePi

Thank you so much, I never would have gotten that myself!

If I understand you correctly the 'alef' from Bilal is partially rubbed out and the 'lam' like sign inside the date is actually a malformed 'haft'?
Old 8th June 2020, 11:24 AM   #6
kronckew

I do not see the numerals
١٢٩ or ٢٧٩

Maybe my eyes need more coffee.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 11:31 AM   #7
GePi

Like this:
Attached Images

Old 8th June 2020, 11:48 AM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GePi
Thanks!
I do not think that the blade is cut down, take a look at this example from Czerny's (also re-sold on oriental-arms recently), which has an identical arrangement of the fullers.
I agree on the dating though, perhaps I am interpreting the numbers wrongly
GePi

You are correct, the blade is NOT cut down, this arrangement is typical of the knife type.
Most of mine have this also, including those of the highest and rarest qualities.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 11:58 AM   #9
kwiatek

Quote:
Thank you so much, I never would have gotten that myself!

If I understand you correctly the 'alef' from Bilal is partially rubbed out and the 'lam' like sign inside the date is actually a malformed 'haft'?
Yes. I don’t think it’s rubbed out as much as written quickly. This is not a professional scribe’s hand. There is an extra dot within the lam of the name Bilal, which made me question this reading. But I can’t think what other name it might be
Old 8th June 2020, 11:59 AM   #10
kwiatek

Quote:
Like this:
Yes! Again, not a professional scribe’s hand
Old 8th June 2020, 12:09 PM   #11
ariel

Yes, 1279.
If so, it is 1862-63 Gregorian.

High class knife, congratulations.
In that part of the world sophisticated weapons were made more likely by Tajiks. The great Khanates were gradually conquered by nomadic Mongols starting in the 11th century. However, the conquered urban populations were highly cultured native Persia- related Tajiks who were the professionals. If so, the master would likely called this knife a Kord. Wootz blade suggests Persian tradition and Ann Feuerbach found archeological evidence of wootz production in the area.
The entire area was conquered by the Russians in 1864-68. Yours may be one of the latest examples of the pre-conquest era.
For some reasons we attribute local weapons to Bukhara, but forget about other great centers: Khorezm, Samarkand, Khiva, Kokand. There must have been local differences in decoration, but we have no good way of distinguishing between them. The inscription pinpoints it to Kokand.

Splendid example!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 12:16 PM   #12
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
The entire area was conquered by the Russians in 1864-68. Yours may be one of the latest examples of the pre-conquest era.
For some reasons we attribute local weapons to Bukhara, but forget about other great centers: Khorezm, Samarkand, Khiva, Kokand. There must have been local differences in decoration, but we have no good way of distinguishing between them.

Splendid example!
Splendid points Ariel.

My memory fails me at the moment but one of these regions did favour Niello much more than most... I wish I could put my finger on it...

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 12:30 PM   #13
GePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiatek
Yes. I don’t think it’s rubbed out as much as written quickly. This is not a professional scribe’s hand. There is an extra dot within the lam of the name Bilal, which made me question this reading. But I can’t think what other name it might be
I think the extra dot belongs to the 'nun' from Khuqandi and has just wandered off to the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
In that part of the world sophisticated weapons were made more likely by Tajiks. The great Khanates were gradually conquered by nomadic Mongols starting in the 11th century. However, the conquered urban populations were highly cultured native Persia- related Tajiks who were the professionals. If so, the master would likely called this knife a Kord. Wootz blade suggests Persian tradition and Ann Feuerbach found archeological evidence of wootz production in the area.
For some reasons we attribute local weapons to Bukhara, but forget about other great centers: Khorezm, Samarkand, Khiva, Kokand. There must have been local differences in decoration, but we have no good way of distinguishing between them. The inscription pinpoints it to Kokand.
Thank your for the write-up, I will have to read up on that.
Old 8th June 2020, 12:30 PM   #14
ariel

Kokand was the ultimate Tajik area: mountainous eastern part of the land, adjacent to Fergana Valley, that’s where the victorious Uzbeks displaced the Tajiks.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 01:05 PM   #15
Peter Andeweg

Good thing to see the blade was not cut down. I once had a Greek bichaq which was a cut down yataghan blade and it reminded me. I could not clearly see the tip of your example, so that's why I mentioned.

1862 is a very plausible date.

Peter
Peter Andeweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 01:51 PM   #16
kwiatek

[QUOTE=GePi]I think the extra dot belongs to the 'nun' from Khuqandi and has just wandered off to the side.

Could be, yes. I can see there is a waw too below, so Usta is spelt اوستا, which I’ve seen in Central Asia
Old 8th June 2020, 03:07 PM   #17
GePi

[QUOTE=kwiatek]
Quote:
I think the extra dot belongs to the 'nun' from Khuqandi and has just wandered off to the side.

Could be, yes. I can see there is a waw too below, so Usta is spelt اوستا, which I’ve seen in Central Asia
You are right, it's also not quite completely formed. That only leaves the sign on the left of that unaccounted for, which looks a bit like a 'jim' form letter connecting into the border of the cartouche.