Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th March 2021, 09:25 PM   #1
Albert

Post Exceptional new book on keris hilts and keris

I just posted a review in the Keris Swap Forum of the newly published book:

Heroes, Gods and Guardians. Hilts and Keris of Indonesia. Huntington Miller Collection.

Written by Bruce W. Carpenter
Attached Images

Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 10:54 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Post removed.

Second thoughts are sometimes worth acting upon.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 09:00 AM   #3
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
I just posted a review in the Keris Swap Forum of the newly published book:

Heroes, Gods and Guardians. Hilts and Keris of Indonesia. Huntington Miller Collection.

Written by Bruce W. Carpenter
Thank you Albert, I already ordered it and I am looking forward to receive it and share my comments!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 03:50 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Since there seems there might be some confusion Albert, your review of this book and further discussion of its contents is quite welcome here in the keris forum as long as there are no links about where to purchase this book or other commercial discussions. The post you placed in the Swap Forum does not seem to have any commercial information other than the expected cost of this book and i see no reason why that review should not have been place here so that it could be discussed. Again, as long as there is no commercial element to your post it is welcome here in the regular Keris Forum.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 08:29 PM   #5
Albert

Post Which forum

I placed it in the Swap Forum because in the review the website of the publisher is mentioned.
I think everyone who is interested can find the review anyway.
Old 29th March 2021, 10:27 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
I placed it in the Swap Forum because in the review the website of the publisher is mentioned.
I think everyone who is interested can find the review anyway.
Fair enough Albert. But what other members cannot do in the Swap is to engage in discussion about the book since members cannot post discussions in Swap.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 11:18 PM   #7
Albert

Default Review

O.k. I post the review also here:

Book review by Albert van Zonneveld

Title: Heroes, Gods and Guardians. Hilts and Keris of Indonesia. Huntington Miller Collection.

Author: Bruce W. Carpenter
Photographer: Charla Thompson

Publisher: C. Zwartenkot Art Books - Leiden & Talisman Publishing - Singapore, 2021

ISBN-978-905-45-0024-7
Format: 29 x 22.5 cm
Cloth bound with jacket
Pages: 164
Illustrations: 130 colour photographs and 12 text illustrations
Language: English
Price: € 45.00

The Huntington Miller Collection of keris and keris hilts is incredible. Not because of the number, but because of the unparalleled quality. It is amazing that so many keris and keris hilts of this superb quality are brought together in one collection.
Bruce W. Carpenter guarantees an elaborate text. Informative and with a lot of background meaning. The accompanying texts to the images not only describe the objects as we see them, but also give an explanation of the depicted figures, heroes, gods and guardians, and their role in the mythical world.
Charla Thompsom's photography is sublime. Each object is photographed from multiple sides and not only gives a beautiful picture of the details, but also show their powerful appearance.

In the book, fifty-nine hilts and seven full keris come into the limelight. They originate from Java, Madura, Sumatra, Borneo, Bali, Lombok, Sumbawa, Sulawesi dating from the 15th-16th century to the 19th-early 20th century.

Contents
- Word from the Collectors
- Dance of the Keris
- Highlights
- Gallery
- Java
- Bali & Lombok
- Sumatra, Sulawesi & Borneo
- Royal Keris
- Bibliography and Image Credits

Heroes, Gods and Guardians is a cultural and artistic voyage that delights the eye and stimulates the mind.
It is not just another book on keris hilts, but indeed an indispensable book for those interested in Indonesian culture in general, as well as for collectors and aficionados of the keris in particular. Highly recommended!