Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd April 2017, 12:34 PM   #1
Michael Blalock

Here is another, attributed to Yemen, to add to the list.
Attached Images

Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 05:40 PM   #2
motan

This is not a learned comment, just an observation. If the pommel shape is indeed an architectural reference, which I tend to agree with, then it is more likely a reference to the monumental Timorid architecture of places like Samarkand, Tashkent and Buchara than to Yemeni mosques.
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 06:23 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very good observation made by Motan, and we have discussed many times through the years the significance of architectural form and elements in the styling of the hilts of edged weapons. I recall Ibrahiim several years ago in studying the Omani sayf and kitara hilts observing the similarity in the pommels to minarets.

In considering the apparent preponderance of these distinctly 'cuffed' hilt sayfs in Yemen, and well supported as such by Michael Blalock in many years of research, collecting and observation, I would note the case for Yemeni Mosques with regard to the pommels of these swords.

In "Minaret Building and Apprenticeship in Yemen" (Trevor Marchand, 2013, p.189) ....two prevalent types of domes to cap traditional San'aa minarets, a smooth surfaced dome which may be SPHERICAL, or slightly bulbous like those of the city's Great Mosque (built 9th c AD, restored 13th c) or fluted like that of Masjid al Abhar (1374-75AD) or al Madrasah Mosque (built first half 16th c).

It seems that years ago we were reviewing silver clad swords with these kinds of pommels, mounted in San'aa with clearly Ethiopian blades, which apparently had come in through ports from Red Sea trade. It was held that the rhino horn from these swords was highly sought for khanjhars' hilts.

I would note that in those researches studying Arab swords from Hadhramaut, it was notable seeing the gadrooned decoration on the scabbards of silver repousse hilts and mounts. This style curiously is also seen on a number of swords from Bukhara 19th c. It would seem this same
affectation extended from Hadhramaut to Yemen of course, and perhaps the diplomatic and trade contacts between the Emirate of Bukhara and Yemen might account for this cross influence.

Returning to the hilt features, it seems the minaret domes described have somewhat compelling similarity to the pommels on these distinctive swords.
The ribbed (or fluted) style does not seem exclusively Bukharen, but it is of course noted that contact between Yemen and Bukhara may reflect the degree of influence considered, and apparently quite present in Yemen independently.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 08:04 PM   #4
Michael Blalock

Low and behold, here is another one from the same source. It just popped up in my email. From Yemen as well.
Attached Images

Old 2nd April 2017, 09:20 PM   #5
Michael Blalock

The most famous minarets in Yemen resemble the hilt as much as any. At least to my eye
Attached Images

Last edited by Michael Blalock; 3rd April 2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 2nd April 2017, 09:44 PM   #6
motan

OK. I said it was just an observation. I don't know much about swords, but in the Ottoman Empire there was a lot of movement, so basically, anything is possible. I can only say that the decoration definately does not look like anything I know of Yemeni style, while the blades definately don't look like Central Asian blades, which are mostly sabre type. The only swords I have seen which have this round pommel and no crossguard are very old Mamluke swords, but I don't see how such influence could bridge several centuries. Nevertheless, if the majority of these swords really come from Yemen, then they are Yemeni swords, whoever made them.
motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:43 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Naturally in the Ottoman 'sphere' styles and types were widely diffused, and as once told by Torben Flindt (Bukharen arms) in communication, 'weapons and their forms have no geographic boundaries'. This could be carried much further in they equally transcend cultural boundaries.

As far as old forms transcending considerable range of time, often without any linear chronology of development, this is usually attributed to the 'revival' phenomenon. Traditional weapons of much earlier times are often produced mostly in recognition of certain heritage and this often compounds the study of arms as far as historically.

As noted, architectural features are often key in the style, design and elements of sword hilts much as in material culture overall, and it would be most difficult to confine these to specific areas, particularly with regard to religiously oriented instances.

The round or spherical pommel is known in other instances, for example in Sudan, where these unusual pommels are hollow and hold seeds or other items to cause rattling in ceremonial circumstances. The straight double edged blade is known of course in certain cases in Persia (the qama and the quaddara), but as noted, primarily it is to North Africa and the Red Sea trade (kaskaras, Omani sayf, and apparently these Yemeni swords).

So these particular examples with this style of cuffed hilt with varying sphere type pommels seem by preponderance to be hilted in Yemen, using blades from various sources.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote