Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st May 2024, 06:49 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Indian Sword to Share

Well, I had a good weekend. I won this massive Indian Tulwar that had a heavy iron handle, with gold or brass speckles.It has a massive 34" blade(the last 11" with a false backside edge and it looks like there might be some type of patterning on the blade even though my pictures don't show it.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Indian tulwars are a tough crowd.......it is really difficult to accurately peg them without significant provenance or detailed decoration which might signify region or entity likely associated. However experience and focused study helps, and though I am by far no authority, I have known those who are and learned a little.

This hilt form is I believe associated with Udaipur, a Rajasthan location and one of a number there where tulwar hilts were produced. It seems this type with elongated square langets and peaked midrif grip is likely end of 18th century probably even earlier.

These are typically associated with Rajputs, but in many circumstances certain clans allied with Mughals. The Talpurs in Sind were Shia and aligned with Persian courts much as Mughals, but these details I cannot speak to with any particular accuracy.

The point is that this example of one of these type tulwars is with heavy fighting blade, which seems more aligned with Northwest frontiers, likely Rajput, while my example (attached) seems more toward more Persian shamshir favor suggesting Rajput as perhaps in Talpur regions .

The gold flaking is likely remnants of koftgari. Note the sunburst type decoration inside disc, the sun is significant in Rajput clan leitmotif. The 'stem' also a Rajput favored feature.

So while primarily a Rajput favored hilt form, it might equally have been used by Sikhs, and frankly I have yet to find any specific detail on proper recognition of any certain weapon to Sikhs. When I once asked a Sikh on this...he wryly said, 'well, if a Sikh used it...it is Sikh' .
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #3
drac2k

Jim thank you for your very detailed description of my sword! Does your excellent example also have a false edge on the back of the tip end?
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #4
Sajen

I think that there is a good possibility that the blade is made from wootz!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #5
drac2k

Thanks, Sajen : I was hoping that was the case,however I'm too ignorant on that matter to venture a guess.
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #6
Sajen

Hello David,

Also when you, like I know, are afraid to work on blades I would try a mild etch. The blade looks clean enough that the chance is high that it would show a pattern after it.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #7
mariusgmioc

I was going to say that the blade might be wootz but Detlef was faster.

Sometimes you should be able to see some of the wootz structure even without etching in the finer polished areas.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM   #8
drac2k

I tried to etch once and it frightened me enough not to ever try it again, lol.