Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd May 2013, 07:32 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

In a jambiya or a khanjar, the hilt is probably the oldest. The hilt (and sometimes the blade) is the most expensive and treasured part of the dagger so it gets refurbished often and as style changes, you get to see those pins sometimes covered by the silver sheet which have became the new fashion or something.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
In a jambiya or a khanjar, the hilt is probably the oldest. The hilt (and sometimes the blade) is the most expensive and treasured part of the dagger so it gets refurbished often and as style changes, you get to see those pins sometimes covered by the silver sheet which have became the new fashion or something.

Salaams A.alnakkas,
I'm not sure about that since the blade seems to be the most admired and important part of the ensemble...at least thats what the locals ponder over when they are checking out a Khanjar. They smell it and even taste it! It even has to have the right musical note when struck. Locally made blades are the most expensive. However, a good hilt comes in a close second and certainly huge value is placed on Rhino and Elephant.

On the subject of pins I believe this to be a vital point since it is really only Rhino hilts that can safely take the closely hammered pins as other materials tend to split. Pins are used to decorate other horn hilts but they are not hammered so closely. It therefor becomes a mark of quality... i.e. Closely hammered pin decoration = Rhino hilt. A good hilt is just about recognisable from about 4 feet away ! (I mean you dont want to get too close!)

I wonder which came first; the pins or the technique of using sheet silver? My hypothesis leans toward the Rhino hilt plus pins since I am quite convinced of the importance of the entire weapon and its link to the Rhino both because of the hilt... and the curve in the dagger and the added apparent curve in the scabbard... I suggest the entire Khanjar is Rhino inspired (Hilt, Scabbard and Blade) though no proof exists other than that.

In keeping with that theory I have also argued that the closely decorated pins reflect/ resemble the spaghetti ended strata of translucent Rhino Horn...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:41 PM   #3
A.alnakkas

Salam,

I am not sure about the smell and taste part. Because some of the finer blades are polished and cleaned very often which means they'd likely smell and taste of polish material. The finger flick and sound thing is something that I am beginning to see often, but to detect the material of the steel rather than the quality, as wootz supposedly sounds different from other steels.

Anyways, one of my new khanjars with a rhino hilt arrived afew weeks ago and it seems to have a wootz blade, a rarity in Omani khanjars. Will post pictures once I am done with the etching and satisfied with the result.

Lotfy
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Salam,

I am not sure about the smell and taste part. Because some of the finer blades are polished and cleaned very often which means they'd likely smell and taste of polish material. The finger flick and sound thing is something that I am beginning to see often, but to detect the material of the steel rather than the quality, as wootz supposedly sounds different from other steels.

Anyways, one of my new khanjars with a rhino hilt arrived afew weeks ago and it seems to have a wootz blade, a rarity in Omani khanjars. Will post pictures once I am done with t he etching and satisfied with the result.

Lotfy

Salaams A.alnakkas ~ I know it sounds very odd...but tasting the blade ... and smelling it are very much the old way of determining a blades quality...A good blade has the aroma of ...herbs and sweaty socks ! as does the taste. The old folks don't clean the blades with metal polish.

Wootz blades are very rare because they simply don't go for that as a style but locally made blades are sought after ...and they are laminated. I suspect that a wootz blade could have come from India or Iran/Afghanistan along with the generally known name of Johar...In fact I was just reading a fine article by Dr Ann Feuerbach in which she mentions the wootz material from which I believe the word Johar originates; Poulad Jauherder.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 24th May 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams All~ Adding more to our library of Rhino Hilt data base detail. This Khanjar is without its scabbard. Nice old blade on a reworked Rhino Hilt. The Hilt can best be described as "Dull Yellow" until a light brings out the translucent effect and the spaghetti ends of the Rhino Horn. The pins in this case are close but not actually tight close as is the often seen application of silver pin work on this quality of Horn. It can be seen however that the pins follow a geometric pattern and great care has been taken in producing the effect.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 29th May 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Rhino.

Salaams All; More Rhino for Library;

Note that this is a "4 Ringer" Baatinah Khanjar (Oman Coast roughly between Muscat and Mussandam ) mounted on a Rhino Hilt and displaying the "Eyes of The Bedu" decoration on the lower scabbard. Also seen are both silver(pure silver) and gold(gold plated) thread decorating the scabbard For the hawkeyed amongst you please note that this is infact the same weapon as at #35 except that in, addition, I now show the light on the hilt and an end of hilt pommel shot ...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 29th May 2013 at 11:44 AM.