Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th October 2021, 01:03 PM   #1
RAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
Definite mismatch. Kothimora would have had a scabbard made specifically fitted to a better blade. Pommel cap has a section missing. Sword of shiva is nicely done, tho. The 'eyebrow mark in front of it is possibly an armoury mark. Lack of broken spine is usually a sign of earlier mfg. but also found in more recently made ones. Looks like it has a partial tang held on by laha (himalayan epoxy') that is the norm. Probably will need a new grip in a few decades of hard use. The forward edge of the bolster being serrated is a bit odd.

Nice scabbard!

My Hanshee Kothimora khukuri for reference.
A very early archaic kukri from around the second half of the 18th Century. later scabbard.
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 04:22 PM   #2
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBA View Post
A very early archaic kukri from around the second half of the 18th Century. later scabbard.

I know. The red tinfoil under the fretwork is also a later addition to the scabbard. The scabbard is still fitted to the blade. Scabbards come and go, it probably lived in a std. plain black one before being promoted, like my other salyani, without the belt frog bit tho, and would have been carried in a sash. This later one has a substantial full length tang peened over a keeper on the pommel.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 04:36 PM   #3
kronckew

When the Alpacalypse comes. this is the one I'll hang on my baldric. I call her Godzilla.
I have others.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 10:28 PM   #4
Tea

Thanks a lot everyone for your precious insights.

@ Ramba may I ask how you manage to date the scabbard I get that the shape of kukri's changed over time, yet it's still complex for me sometimes to Id the real deal from a well made reproduction (not those with lion heads)
I would be more than happy if you could suggest a few good books/articles

I read on the link below that the monster depicted on the scabbard is called cheppu/Kirtimukha is the decoration pattern one of the elements that helped to date my scabbard and the one from krockew?
https://kilatools.com/kukrihistory/

Also I don't know whether the use of velvet is common or not and whether it can help to specify a date?

@krockew I wouldn't mind if you'd added a few more pictures of your collection
I'm quite partial to the second one you posted.
Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2021, 11:13 PM   #5
Tea

Hi I just encountered a very similar kukri on a vendor's website: the kukri is almost identical:engravings, eyelash sun and moon symbol even the karda is similar,
the scabbard has the same red velvet but is in much better state and still has 3 tools: the usual plus a small toothpick, the scabbard is similarly oversized. but has a different decoration in bazaar style.

So I suppose they might be a match after all...

I would like to know if and how I may refer to the pictures? Like the saying goes "a picture is worth a ...
Old 22nd October 2021, 01:15 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation Discussion of an item presently for sale ...

Hi Tea,

Unfortunately, we do not permit linking to, discussing, or posting pictures of items that are currently for sale. I would suggest you download any pictures now as these can disappear quickly after a sale is completed. I understand that you would like to discuss this item now, but please wait until it is no longer for sale.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:33 AM   #7
Tea

Hi Ian thank you for the reply I'll make sure to do that once the sale is completed.

In the meantime I found 2 sold Kukri's which also look similar.
(less so than the one I had in mind but clearly the point is the same:

Here is an analysis of the first one:
- the eyelash is identical
- the serated part of the bolster is also present
- the upper part of the decoration pattern is identical
- the same red velvet is used on the scabbard

(far to many similiratities in my opinion to be a coincidence)

here is the link to the website: https://www.rubylane.com/item/146467...w-234856211751

And attached you'll find the pictures which give the best representation of the similarities with my kukri:
Attached Images

Old 23rd October 2021, 12:43 AM   #8
Tea

So now for the second similar kukri I found which is also sold

- the overall shape seems similar
- clearly in this example the bolster, cho, engravings, serated bolster are either different or absent in comparison to the kukri I posted
- The scabbard seems oversized
- the scabbard is almost identical to the previous one I posted

link: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...kha-1838564254

And the pictures:
Attached Images

Old 23rd October 2021, 01:08 AM   #9
Tea

I don't know what we can learn based on the 2 new kukri I posted in my last messages.

I suppose we can determine it probably is not a mismatch after all.
It is however very strange that the scabbard is so much oversized: It's complicated to understand why they put so much effort into making a nice scabbard and so little effort into sizing the scabbard correctly.

Based on the new evidence are all the kukri I posted of the same period? Is the estimated period still second quarter of the 20th century?

Are the kukri genuine/ antique/ usable kukri's or does the fact that I found 4 similar examples mean they should be regarded as tourist kukri's?