Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th April 2023, 06:08 PM   #1
aspalathos

Default Hunting sword -German?

Hello some info please , is it german ? 18-19 century?
Attached Images

aspalathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2023, 07:51 PM   #2
Akanthus

Smile

Would say most likely German ,eventually French.Somewhere between 1730 and 1760. Please look on the back of the blade if you can find a flowerlike decoration . Solingeen signed with the " Solinger Rose " .Is the nucklebow soldered at the upper end ? Because the upper and lower angle of it is different .
Akanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2023, 04:12 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with Akanthus, though it is difficult to say for certain cuttoes of this kind and period (1720s-40s) are French (as this one appears) or English. The pronounced rounded pommel cap, courtly shell element descending over blade from bottom of guard, knuckle guard seem of a genre which could be French, German or English.

The blade is clearly of the straight hanger type consistent with blades like this going into England from Solingen, with the single back fuller. It seems to have been dramatically shortened.

It is tempting to consider a blade shortened in this manner for maritime use as preferred by officers. Extremely attractive cuttoe!

"Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" ,George Neumann, 1973.
(examples 64.S and 65.S both French 1720-50 are similar). ]

The marking is unclear and not found in any references I have in exact match, but its position on the blade is consistent with other marks on these kinds of blades of this period. Some of this type with fluer de lis in same location suggest being from French arsenal in this period.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2023, 02:47 PM   #4
aspalathos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanthus View Post
Would say most likely German ,eventually French.Somewhere between 1730 and 1760. Please look on the back of the blade if you can find a flowerlike decoration . Solingeen signed with the " Solinger Rose " .Is the nucklebow soldered at the upper end ? Because the upper and lower angle of it is different .
Hello blade has got marks on both side,I didnt notice other marks . Here are kore photos..
Attached Images

Old 11th April 2023, 09:36 PM   #5
Akanthus

Sorry,i don't know the mark on the blade but these backblades are typical for huntingswords of those times .
Akanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2023, 01:52 PM   #6
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
The marking is unclear and not found in any references I have in exact match, but its position on the blade is consistent with other marks on these kinds of blades of this period. Some of this type with fluer de lis in same location suggest being from French arsenal in this period.
Not an exact match, but could it be a double-headed eagle like the Passau and Solingen ones shown below?

EDIT: Argh! Why does it insist on flipping my images on its side?
Attached Images

werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2023, 03:57 AM   #7
aspalathos

Default Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspalathos View Post
Hello blade has got marks on both side,I didnt notice other marks . Here are kore photos..
Photos
Attached Images