Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th August 2022, 02:01 AM   #1
werecow

Default Eastern European or Ottoman saber?

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or on ethnographic weapons, but I bought this fixer-upper last year (all pictures except the last one). The grip scales are loose, the blade has some bends and some pitting, and then there's the missing guard and chape of course, but it still looked nice enough for me to pick it up.

Based on the cutout on the grip and the mouth of the scabbard, I deduce that it is similar to one of the type in the last picture. I've seen a fair number of these around by now. They are variously listed as Hungarian, Ukrainian, Balkan, Turkish, or just Ottoman. The blade type varies (mine looks like some shashka blades I've seen) but the guard and chape tend to have the same profile as the ones in the last picture. The details of the decorations on the fittings appear to vary a bit.

The seller said his father bought it in Turkey some time in the 60s, in more or less the current state.
I'd love to find a matching guard and chape for it one day. But for now, I'd just like to narrow the herritage in time and space! Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by werecow; 27th August 2022 at 02:33 AM.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote