Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th March 2007, 02:41 AM   #1
CollectingNewbie

Default New Katars

Hey everyone, I know most of you know Ive been selling off my collection to add katars to my katar collection. Well heres the results so far. I got two katars on a trade that after cleaning are turning out very very nice. I also recently picked up a katar sword? It is 29 1/4 inches long with a 21 inch blade. Take a look and tell me what you think, also i recently had a post about a possible museum katar, this very nice peice I picked up had alot of tarnish on it and for the longest time I didnt clean it, but just recently I cleaned the whole thing to find silver all over the handle I was very very pleased as I picked this peice up for 49.00, I will post pictures of it cleaned as well as the two I got in trade as soon as I finish removing most of the rust.
Attached Images

CollectingNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 02:43 AM   #2
CollectingNewbie

Default .

Attached Images

Old 10th March 2007, 02:45 AM   #3
CollectingNewbie

Default ..

Attached Images

Old 10th March 2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

You really have gotten yourself a lot of katars. I find the katar shown on picture seven and eight especially interesting, as it can be pinned at a spacial place, Bundi in Rajasthan. When the Prince of Wales visited India in 1875-76 he was presented with a lot of weapons and other things, given by the Princes and Nobles of India. Later it all was exhibited at Marlborough House and a catalogue was made. In Case E, amongst other things, a katar is shown, and this katar was given to the Prince by H.H. The Maharaja of Bundi. If you look at the flowers between the cross bars you will see that the flowers on your katar and the ones on the picture are alike – and this indicates that it is a Bundi katar.
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice. I recognize at least 2 of those katars as coming from our good friend Rsword. I saw them in person. Nice pieces. My favorite being the one with the wootz and chiseled elephant with gold koftgari or inlay (I forgot which). Congrats!

Thanks Jen for the id. Very helpful.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 06:43 AM   #6
CollectingNewbie

Default .

Hi Jens thanks for the info, I find it very intereasting, As I was cleaning my blades this last week I fell absolutely in love with this style of "bundi" katar, do you happen to know any thing else about this type of katar?

Also here is some pictures of the blades I have cleaned, starting out with a soap and water rense, followed by a light sanding with 600 bit wet dry sand paper, then a light soak in a chemical rust remover, which added to the darkness of the blades so I had to go back to another light sanding, but as you can tell the process worked wonders, especially on the rust on the bundi katar, theres still some slight deeper rust spots on a few of these katars, Ive been looking through the archives but cant seem to find a good meathod of getting rid of these last bits of deeper rust, any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 23rd March 2007, 09:23 AM   #7
Bill M

Maybe you need to change your name to "Katar-Man" You have some nice pieces. Congrats
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote