Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st January 2024, 03:20 PM   #1
Pertinax

Question Sword for identification

Приветствую всех участников форума, благодарю что позволили мне присоединиться к Вашему сообществу.
В моей небольшой коллекции есть необычный меч. На клинке помимо всего прочего присутствует надпись. Для идентификации предмета, я вначале предпринял попытки перевести (расшифровать) этот текст. Изучил многие «живые» и «мертвые» языки, таблички рун, обращался к профессиональным переводчикам и лингвистам, но не удается не то, что перевести, но и определить алфавит. Некоторые буквы встречаются в древнеармянской и эфиопской азбуке. Пытались читать текст в зеркальном отображении, но это тоже результатов не принесло.
В 2022 г. в течении 3 месяцев этот предмет обсуждался на российском форуме (здесь присутствуют коллеги, которые принимали участие в обсуждении). Высказывалось очень много любопытных и интересных версий, но окончательно идентифицировать предмет не удалось. Сошлись во мнении, что предмет ритуальный для мистерий или подношений к храму/святилищу не ранее конца 19-го века.
Технические характеристики: общий размер - 1005 мм, длина клинка - 850 мм, длина рукояти - 155 мм, ширина клинка у пяты - 43 мм, толщина клинка у пяты – 3 мм, длина ножен - 870 мм; вес – 1092 г. Ножны подвергались реставрации.
Буду благодарен за любые версии происхождения и принадлежности предмета, заранее благодарю.
С уважением Юрий.

Greetings to all forum participants, thank you for allowing me to join your community.
I have an unusual sword in my small collection. On the blade, among other things, there is an inscription. To identify the subject, I first made attempts to translate (decipher) this text. I have studied many “living” and “dead” languages, rune tablets, contacted professional translators and linguists, but I cannot not only translate, but also determine the alphabet. Some letters are found in the ancient Armenian and Ethiopian alphabet. We tried to read the text in mirror image, but this also did not bring results.
In 2022, this subject was discussed at a Russian forum for 3 months (colleagues who took part in the discussion are present here). A lot of curious and interesting versions were expressed, but it was not possible to definitively identify the object. It was agreed that the object was a ritual item for mysteries or offerings to a temple/sanctuary no earlier than the end of the 19th century.
Technical characteristics: overall size - 1005 mm, blade length - 850 mm, handle length - 155 mm, blade width at the heel - 43 mm, blade thickness at the heel - 3 mm, sheath length - 870 mm; weight – 1092 g. The scabbard has been restored.
I would be grateful for any versions of the origin and ownership of the item, thank you in advance.
Regards, Yuri.
Attached Images

Pertinax is offline   Reply With Quote