Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 30th December 2020, 10:21 PM   #1
bvieira

Default A sword for comments

Hello!

Would appreciate some comments on this sword! I bought it recently, the blade and the cup I have sure it's original, the other parts I am in doubt but they are so we'll made! And the all sword was very well preserved with a kind of green varnish that I had to take out.

Thank you for comments.

Bruno
Attached Images

bvieira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 10:23 PM   #2
bvieira

Part2
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2020, 02:25 AM   #3
M ELEY

Very nice Spanish (or Portuguese?) cup-hilt, Bruno! I believe this pattern was referred to as a 'sail hilt' and dates to the last quarter of the 18th century. As you pointed out, the blade, cup and guard/quillons look legit. Grip rewrapped, but well done. That pommel, though. It looks good for the piece, but I don't recall seeing this classic pommel form from cup-hilts of this period. Now I'll let the experts step in...

Last edited by M ELEY; 31st December 2020 at 02:40 AM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:42 AM   #4
bvieira

Hello Meley tks for your opinion! I think it's spanish, but don't really know, only the blade I can assure it's german, by the inscription, Gio Knegt in solingen.

Regards,
BV

Last edited by bvieira; 2nd January 2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:53 AM   #5
M ELEY

Most Spanish swords of this period had blades made in Solingen. Germany was basically producing for most of Europe at that time, with their blades being used in Scotland for basket-hilts, in American swords from the Revolutionary period, etc. I am pretty sure your sword has a model number, but i don't have access to Brincherhoff's book at the moment.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 03:52 PM   #6
bvieira

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Most Spanish swords of this period had blades made in Solingen. Germany was basically producing for most of Europe at that time, with their blades being used in Scotland for basket-hilts, in American swords from the Revolutionary period, etc. I am pretty sure your sword has a model number, but i don't have access to Brincherhoff's book at the moment.
Yes from germany but also toledo, but germans often had more production quantity.