Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th March 2023, 07:23 AM   #1
Green

Alan, Sajen and Kai;

I'm really not observant! my bad. Many thanks for pointing that out!
That is truly a first. "Remarkable" ! Rightly so Alan.I've never seen the blade in reverse position in the sheath like this also. Can anyone give any reason why ?

(Although I must say I've seen a LOT of hilts positioned in reverse position even by the so called 'experts'....)
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 08:26 AM   #2
milandro

Since Marco is not a novice at this, I am supposing that there is more that meets the eye here and that he is just chuckling
milandro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 01:54 PM   #3
Marcokeris

dapur Maeso Slurung / Nabrang
Attached Images

Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 03:11 PM   #4
JustYS

Hi Marco,

Which reference are you using for the dhapur name?

According to Empu Djeno Harumbrodjo (from your old post), dhapur Mahisa/Kebo Selurung is as the following:
Attached Images

JustYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 05:56 PM   #5
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustYS View Post
Hi Marco,

Which reference are you using for the dhapur name?

According to Empu Djeno Harumbrodjo (from your old post), dhapur Mahisa/Kebo Selurung is as the following:
I reported only the name of dapur that the seller indicated to me at my request
Old 28th March 2023, 09:26 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

It looks similar to Mahesa Kathong with luk, but no kembang kacang. An interesting blade.
That said i can see absolutely no logic in the reversed hilt and sheath positioning.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 09:46 PM   #7
Marcokeris

in the other way, no possible....or possible but no good for ganja (too much inside or to much outside the wrongko line surface)

Last edited by Marcokeris; 29th March 2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old 29th March 2023, 06:55 AM   #8
JustYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That said i can see absolutely no logic in the reversed hilt and sheath positioning.
Hi David,

If I understood correctly the following is the correct orientation of the blade and the hilt (right Marco?) hence the reversed sheath positioning. Very unusual dhapur indeed.
Attached Images

JustYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 09:44 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

This dhapur naming is perhaps a good example of the non-standardisation of keris terminology.

Marco's seller has given it as "Maeso Slurung / Nabrang " , "maeso" = "mahesa" = "kebo", kebo keris have a long gandhik, "slurung" is maybe from "selur" = "in a row", so maybe the name given indicates a "kebo keris with gandhiks in a row". Maybe.

However, if we use the Surakarta pakem as our reference, what we are looking at is dhapur Dhuwung Luk Lima.

Then we have dhapur "Mahesa Nabrang", this form has 15 luk.

Names used for dhapurs can & do vary from place to place, and within those places from group to group.

The Javanese language itself is not a standardised language --- according to linguists --- Javanese people famously have only one name, they do not use a family name, but that one name can change according to situation & context.

I do not believe it is possible to know all the name variations for pamors & dhapurs.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 09:57 PM   #10
A. G. Maisey

Marco, just a gentle little hint:-

the word "dapur" means "kitchen" in Bahasa Indonesia.

the word "dhapur" means "shape or form" in Basa Jawa

"dapur" is not a Javanese word, "dhapur" is not an Indonesian word.
Old 29th March 2023, 03:09 PM   #11
GIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris View Post
I reported only the name of dapur that the seller indicated to me at my request
Please look at the enclosure.
From "Ilmu Keris" by S Lumintu 1994
Attached Images

GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2023, 02:54 AM   #12
ganjawulung

Default Chengkrong Pandawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris View Post
dapur Maeso Slurung / Nabrang
IMHO it is a rare Chengkrong Pandawa keris.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2023, 04:01 AM   #13
ganjawulung

Default CENGKRONG PANDAWA IN RADYAPUSTAKA SOLO

Last Thursday (01/06/2023) I went to the Radyapustaka Museum in Solo. In a museum showcase, I saw a keris quite similar to Marco's keris – not precisely similar, but it had three curves or luks. It is a Cengkrong Jangkung, if Marco's keris luk five, it is a Cengkrong Pandawa.

The Cengkrong Jangkung keris is on the far right in the showcase in front of me.
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 2nd June 2023 at 04:15 AM.
Old 2nd June 2023, 04:14 AM   #14
ganjawulung

Default EXCEPTIONAL PANJINGAN

The cengkrong dhapur on the Javanese keris, is the only dhapur that is a panjingan (omah-omahan, keris hole) in its special position. Unlike the other dhapur kerises. Keris hole in its sheath, is reversed. The front becomes the back, the back becomes the front of the sheath.

As photographed (01/06/2023)in this keris belonging to the Radyapustaka Museum in Solo, Central Java, Indonesia...
Attached Images

Old 2nd June 2023, 04:32 AM   #15
A. G. Maisey

Thanks for your input Ganja.

Radyapustaka sounds pretty authoritative, but it still gets down to the opinion of one man.

Here is re-posting of an earlier post of mine:-

The SKA pakem cengkrong lacks kruwingan, whilst the SKA pakem dhuwung does have kruwingan, also a cengkrong does not need to have the back edge sharp, whereas the dhuwung does.

The subject keris has a sharp back edge and kruwingan.

Using the SKA pakem it cannot be anything other than dhuwung luk lima, but I have no idea at all what it might have been called at the time & in the place where it was made.

I do not think this is a Central Javanese keris, more likely East Jawa, and over there it could have a half dozen other names.

Actually, if we did allow that it was a cengkrong with 5 luk, in spite of the fact that it does not quite satisfy the requirements for a cengkrong, it would then be a Pandowo Cengkrong, not a Cengkrong Luk Lima.

I don't think I have a firm opinion in respect of dhapur, but its nice to see another genuine old example.

However, it is difficult to see detail of your example , I also have some photos of this display case, but my pics are maybe more indistinct than yours.

For me, it gets down to only one thing:- what does the SKA pakem say?

We can have 50 people look at the same thing and all come up with maybe 50 or more different opinions, it is always nice to be able to back up an opinion with some sort of authority.

Marco's keris (post #17) shows a back that in English we would call a pipe back, in the keris this pipe back blade is found in dhapur dhuwung, it is not found in any other dhapur.

Does the Radyapustaka example have a pipe back blade?

If so it is similar to Marco's blade and according to the SKA pakem it qualifies as dhuwung.

If it does not have a pipe back blade then it is not similar to Marco's keris and cengkrong might well apply, in which case the reverse mount is correct in the RP example, the comment in the SKA pakem is "--- ganja kuwalik".

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 2nd June 2023 at 04:46 AM.