Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th July 2021, 08:43 PM   #1
gp

some more info for those interested...

From the Smithsonian:

More than an object for defense and attack, this short sword is an item of regalia, denoting status and membership in the hierarchical warriors' society of the Salampasu peoples.
The Salampasu consist of seven independent clans who live in the south-central portion of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Short swords of this type were carried and brandished by masked dancers belonging to the warriors' society called mungongo, a governing institution that served to integrate young men into Salampasu society, to foster cooperation among communities when responding to outside threats and to monitor events and discourage violence at community gatherings such as public dances and funerals.
Wealthy warriors traditionally controlled material resources including iron-ore sources and raw and worked metal (knives and swords fell into this category), and they exercised authority over the blacksmiths who fashioned implements out of worked metal.
Sources indicate that in the early 1960s the Salampasu destroyed their masks and disbanded the mungongo in an effort to reinforce the authority of new chiefs who eschewed more traditional institutions and practices. However, recent research in 1989 documented that initiations and masked dances were still taking place.
The collector of this Salampasu sword, Emil Gorlia, served as a circuit court judge and later as a senior official of the Congo administration, finally becoming secretary general of the Ministry of Colonies. Between 1905 and 1927 he made six extended trips through southern Congo, particularly present-day Shaba province.
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 26th July 2021 at 01:05 AM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2021, 04:21 PM   #2
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp View Post
some more info for those interested...

From the Smithsonian:

More than an object for defense and attack, this short sword is an item of regalia, denoting status and membership in the hierarchical warriors' society of the Salampasu peoples.
The Salampasu consist of seven independent clans who live in the south-central portion of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Short swords of this type were carried and brandished by masked dancers belonging to the warriors' society called mungongo, a governing institution that served to integrate young men into Salampasu society, to foster cooperation among communities when responding to outside threats and to monitor events and discourage violence at community gatherings such as public dances and funerals.
Wealthy warriors traditionally controlled material resources including iron-ore sources and raw and worked metal (knives and swords fell into this category), and they exercised authority over the blacksmiths who fashioned implements out of worked metal.
Sources indicate that in the early 1960s the Salampasu destroyed their masks and disbanded the mungongo in an effort to reinforce the authority of new chiefs who eschewed more traditional institutions and practices. However, recent research in 1989 documented that initiations and masked dances were still taking place.
The collector of this Salampasu sword, Emil Gorlia, served as a circuit court judge and later as a senior official of the Congo administration, finally becoming secretary general of the Ministry of Colonies. Between 1905 and 1927 he made six extended trips through southern Congo, particularly present-day Shaba province.
Glad to be of some help and thank you for posting the info on the Salampasu which I found most interesting.
Regards
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2021, 03:24 PM   #3
Duccio

Hi GP, your Salampasu's twin brother is in my house ...
Attached Images

Duccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2021, 11:05 PM   #4
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duccio View Post
grazie mille & congratulations ( better late then never)☺☼☺

Question: what is the material between the blade and the grip ?
And what would be its function?
Mine doesn't have it but I suspected something might be missing at mine

greetings from Paesi Bassi

Gunar
Attached Images

Old 1st August 2021, 11:49 AM   #5
Pieje

I guess it's a sort of hand protection.
Not every Salampasu sword shares this feature.
Attached Images

Pieje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2021, 03:41 PM   #6
Duccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp View Post
grazie mille & congratulations ( better late then never)☺☼☺

Question: what is the material between the blade and the grip ?
And what would be its function?
Mine doesn't have it but I suspected something might be missing at mine

greetings from Paesi Bassi

Gunar
It is a kind of rope of vegetable fibers, I think it serves to hold the blade firmly inside the handle, which has a slit. Maybe it's good that your knife doesn't have it; if the blade is firm, it means that the rope is not needed.
Saluti da Firenze.
Attached Images

Old 1st August 2021, 08:42 PM   #7
gp

Quote:
It is a kind of rope of vegetable fibers, I think it serves to hold the blade firmly inside the handle, which has a slit. Maybe it's good that your knife doesn't have it; if the blade is firm, it means that the rope is not needed.
Saluti da Firenze.

thank you all gents for your feedback ! Also about the scabbards. Highly appreciated !

buona sera Duccio,

with reference to the picture you added, would the Salampasu in the leopard troussers be one of the notorious "leopardmen"or just a warrior wearing the skin of the animal to show his warrior status in a symbolic way ?

Saluti da Maastricht☼
Attached Images

Old 6th August 2021, 04:59 PM   #8
Duccio

Hi GP,
I don't know how to answer you ... I guess your second hypothesis is true, anyway.
I only found this little information on the sites to which I give you the link:
https://www.gettyimages.ch/detail/na...28?language=it
https://soulsafari.wordpress.com/201...lampasu-zaire/

Saluti!
Old 1st August 2021, 10:53 AM   #9
Peter B.

Quote:
I have another one that looks exactly the same.
I fear that at least the scabbards of the most swords were newly produced. They look too good to have ever been used.
Attached Images

Peter B. is offline   Reply With Quote