Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th May 2024, 05:35 PM   #1
Interested Party

I guess my personal quirk is that I like to know the species woods used and what motifs represent, particularly when they are vegetative and esoteric beliefs.

I wish you luck on your search. Sorry I do not have any information for you. Maybe someday we will know what this item is and looks like if it is not too personal. Thanks for an interesting topic as always

-ip
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2024, 09:33 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Motifs I do have high interest in, woods not so much. This is perhaps due to my principal interest being in Jawa & Bali, & Jawa has used imported woods for many years and until the present. Knowing the tree that wood comes from does not contribute to the knowledge of the item in a socio-cultural context, unless it is a local wood that does have some esoteric aspect associated with it.

The overarching principle is that it is the overall impression created by the appearance & the way in which the material has been worked that does count.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2024, 08:20 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
The overarching principle is that it is the overall impression created by the appearance & the way in which the material has been worked that does count.
Very true!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2024, 08:23 PM   #4
Sajen

One of the best paradigms is for example hippo ivory, used overall in SEA but not found there.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote