Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th March 2024, 04:45 PM   #1
Bob A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary_Jarl View Post
Hello,

I remember seeing somewhere that people from the Canary Islands were prohibited from owning/making weapons such as swords and daggers. Therefore I don't believe these daggers you have came from the Canary Islands.
I remember seeing somewhere that fully automatic weapons were prohibited to commoners in the EU, yet I'm told of their discharge at wedding ceremonies in Crete in the recent past.

Hard to cook and eat without knives, I've found. Meat is particularly challenging to deal with in the absence of tools.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2024, 09:09 AM   #2
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
I remember seeing somewhere that fully automatic weapons were prohibited to commoners in the EU, yet I'm told of their discharge at wedding ceremonies in Crete in the recent past.
Hello Bob,

There is no uniform weapon law in the EU, every country has its own weapon law.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2024, 10:56 AM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Not wishing to embark aboard the recurrent tool/weapon saga, i suspect this time the Canary knife was undoubtedly conceived to be an agriculture utensil, eventually having undergone design adjustments for banana harvesting, for one. Its connotation with the term Nife, from the English Knife to the Spanish, even Portuguese slang Naifa, ought not transform this tool into a weapon.
If you guys care to translate this article to your own language, you have a good chance for such subject perusal.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuchillo_canario
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2024, 05:57 PM   #4
CutlassCollector

"Described as "18th–19th C Spanish or Philippines Naval Dirk""

Jumping back to Post 1.
And obviously ignoring the intricate handle, but it does have a slight resemblance to the 1833 French government issue of the Naval dagger (Poignard de Marine), although this had a triangular section blade.

This may explain the above description connecting it to a 'Naval Dirk'. I have never seen reference to a Spanish or Philippine version.

It was part of the Systeme 1833 suite of weapons and came with a leather or metal triangular sheath.
Attached Images

CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2024, 08:18 PM   #5
Legendary_Jarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post

Hard to cook and eat without knives, I've found. Meat is particularly challenging to deal with in the absence of tools.
Not every knife is a weapon even if they can be used as such. In fact, most knives have been used as cutting tools throughout time. Canario knives were not considered weapons even if at times they could have been used as such. That is why I said "weapons such as swords and daggers" which are clearly primarily intended to be used as weapon even if at times they could potentially be used as tools. See the difference?

It is kinda concerning that when I wrote "weapons were banned" people assumed "every blade was banned". Are you from the UK? lol

What is pictured above in the OP, in my opinion, is clearly intended as a weapon and has nothing to do with the Canary Islands. I mean compare the craftmanship with that of actual Canario Knives. The craftmanship of this dagger is quite poor. And actually now that I think about it what is pictured above is not even called "dagger"(daga) in Spanish. Small stabbing implements like that are PUÑAL.
Legendary_Jarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2024, 01:58 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary_Jarl View Post
What is pictured above in the OP, in my opinion, is clearly intended as a weapon and has nothing to do with the Canary Islands. I mean compare the craftmanship with that of actual Canario Knives. The craftmanship of this dagger is quite poor. And actually now that I think about it what is pictured above is not even called "dagger"(daga) in Spanish. Small stabbing implements like that are PUÑAL.
Thank you for the clarification and I agree with you, the dagger which started the thread has nothing to do with Canary Island knives!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote