Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 6th April 2021, 04:46 PM   #31
David R

But if pigs can’t sweat, why do we have the expression “sweat like a pig?” The term is actually derived from the iron smelting process in which hot iron poured on sand cools and solidifies with the pieces resembling a sow and piglets. Hence "pig iron". As the iron cools, the surrounding air reaches its dew point, and beads of moisture form on the surface of the "pigs". "Sweating like a pig" indicates that the "pig" (ie iron) has cooled enough to be safely handled. And that's a "pig" you wouldn't want to eat.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/health/sweating-pig#:~:text=But%20if%20pigs%20can't,Hence%20%22pig %20iron%22.&text=And%20that's%20a%20%22pig%22%20yo u,wouldn't%20want%20to%20eat.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2021, 05:03 PM   #32
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

... And that does it; with pigs, i mean .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2024, 11:15 PM   #33
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default GERMAN STREITAXT (horsemans axe) mid 16th century

I recently had the opportunity to view and handle this amazing example of a German horsemans axe, and quite frankly knew the second I held it that it was a sound and formidable weapon. Looking closely at the workmanship and nuanced details it was clear it was VERY old, my first thoughts 17th century.

It seemed to me I had seen something like this, thinking of the langets running the full length of the haft. After some 'excavation' later, I found the reference I was looking for......"European & American Arms", Claude Blair, 1962.
Most here will recognize the late Mr. Blair as one of the foremost authorities on arms in the UK over many decades. In this on p.113 (item K) is a horsemans axe like this shown as S. Germany, EARLY 16th century. This seemed quite in place as ensuing research indicated influences for this type 'axe' had come from N.Italy in the previous century, and Boeheim ("Waffenkund" , 1890) indicated a similar type with the full langets in time of Maxmilian I, (c.1500).

In previous posts here, the 'landsknechts' were mentioned, who were of course German and Swiss foot troops who were mercenary forces. In about mid 16th c. the mounted arm of mercenary forces were formed, known as 'Schwarz Reiters" (=black riders) referring to the unburnished dark armor they wore (often treated to prevent rust). These horsemen were known for their use of guns (wheellocks) and swords, and it seems the focus on the guns overshadowed mention of incidentals such as battle axes.
One reference did note that the axes were attached to the saddle bow, probably by the chain (seen on this example).

* here I would note that there are examples of battle axe with similar configuration of axe blade and crow beak which have added a wheellock mechanism, and with the advocasy of these firearms by the reiters, it is tempting to see the combination with that in mind.

It seems quite likely this 'robust' example (as well put in an earlier post) was of the form used by these 'reiters'. It seems the axe was favored more in German areas, while other areas used the war hammer (also with beaked poll).

This example has an 8" wide head (blade to beak tip) and is 18" long (excluding ring for chain) . In checking with others more proficient in assessment of the character of steel, patination etc. consensus was this example is soundly of period consistent w/ 1550-1600.

What is most remarkable is the apparent rarity of this form of horsemans axe with langets, heavy axe head with crows beak (falcon beak as termed in Victorian writing) and fluke at top. While mostly war hammers, maces and other axe forms are seen in some degree, nothing comparable to this appears through the years of auctions and references I have checked. The closest was the Blair reference, though there are some reasonably close.

I must admit to not having a great deal of familiarity with 'fantasy' weapons ......but I did some checking on reproduction items as well as those of the well known Ernst Schmitt of Munich (1880s-1920s) who made remarkable reproduction armor and weapons. None were even close to this.

In my opinion, as supported by research and other consultation, I feel this is an authentic horsemans axe, Germany, mid 16th century and possibly earlier. I will say it is one of the most exciting weapons I have handled in many years, and I congratulate TXHunt on its acquisition. Also thank him for posting it here, and regret the very belated update.

Attached: current photos of the axe
next two entries, "European & American Arms", Claude Blair, 1962,N.Y., p.113, item K. '
next two from, Wendelin Boeheim, "Waffenkunde" ,Leipzig, 1890
then "Arms & Armor", Auguste Demmin, London, 1877

Note that the Blair example is with steel haft. In the one example from Boeheim, from c.1500 it has the four post langets and hardwood haft. .....suggesting earlier date on this......the steel haft seems to have come in later.

ADDENDUM: RE: ROSETTES
Regarding the rosettes surrounding the faces of the beaked poll, I have found that in Eastern Europe, often in Carpathian regions, the six petal rosette is a key device often found in local architecture as a protective device on cross beams. While six petaled (and I have seen this on sword blades) it seems quite possible that similar talismanic value might apply with the strategic addition of this five petaled form, which seems to conform with the style of ecclesiastic quatrefoils.

Note the rosette shape studs on the haft of the axe illustrated in Blair (1962).
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 8th January 2024 at 11:16 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2024, 07:09 PM   #34
urbanspaceman

Default Battle Axe

It is well-seen why TXHunt approached you personally Jim.
Reading through this thread makes me wonder if this is actually an arms and armour forum.
I'm all for pertinent digression - but really!
Well-done, you have upheld the faculty as you so often do.
I would love to have owned this piece, even though it is far outside my field of interest.
Keep up the good work.
urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2024, 02:24 PM   #35
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Keith, thank you so much for posting on this, and the kind words!
I will say that I too would love to have this amazing horsemans axe regardless of it being out of my areas! Its unique character and well established antiquity makes it extremely interesting.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote