Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd September 2020, 09:02 AM   #1
blindside

Default Help on what I just bought....

I just received this off an ebay auction which I somewhat accidentally won (there is a lesson here about not attempting to throw in a last second low bid while operating a tractor) and I really don't have a clue what it is. My main interest is Filipino blades and while this sort of reminds me of that region it has a lot of odd elements.

The auction listed it as "Antique Persian Russian Caucasian Snake Guard Sword Blade Weapon," as completely not helpful as that is. At this point if anyone has any suggestions on what it is I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Overall length: 28.5 inches / 72.4cm
handle: 5in / 10.2cm
blade 23.5in / 59.7cm
weight 21oz / 595g
Attached Images

Last edited by blindside; 23rd September 2020 at 09:53 AM.
blindside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:47 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Aha! You ended up with it! I was watching but did not bid on it.

Very unusual piece. The blade reminds me somewhat, in shape at least, of a Chassepot bayonet or one of its variants. From what I can see in these pics, it is not a Chassepot but looks like one. I can't make up my mind whether the hilt is wooden or horn. The pommel looks like a horse hoof, but there is a ring protruding from the end also. And the D-guard ...

I hope somebody here has seen similar before.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:48 AM   #3
Conduit

Hilt is wood.
Mostly likely a homemade hunting dagger judging by the shape of hilt and quillon and lack of the maker mark.
Conduit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:28 PM   #4
Duccio

Hello,
the blade actually has the shape of a bayonet "yataghan type", as was that of the chassepot, but the section of the blade was definitely different. Moreover, there were many bayonet models with that shape, in the mid-nineteenth century, and even the dimensions seem more those of a bayonet than that of a cavalry saber. To the eye the hilt really (made of horn?) has the shape of a horse's leg, complete with horseshoe, but it doesn't look like a standard military workmanship ... could it be a custom job for the recovery of a bayonet blade?
Very curious object, indeed!
And anyway, since it was a random offer, it could have been much worse ...
Duccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2020, 01:27 PM   #5
Conduit

This blade has not been recovered from an yatagan bladed bayonet. All military issued yatagan bayonets have fullered blades.
Conduit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2020, 02:27 PM   #6
blindside

Thank you all, the hilt is horn.
Old 23rd September 2020, 04:13 PM   #7
Interested Party

I hoped this would show up on the site. It looked like a converted bayonet but as mentioned before the cross section was wrong. Then there the snake motif to make matters more confusing. Then I thought possibly a pedang lurus for a second and finally a hunting sword. It confused me to the point I tried to grab it just to take a look at the metal for a bit of an answer but the price jumped at the last second. I was blindsided. Good job!

What can you see as far as the structure of the steel and construction methods?

Is the tang peened or threaded?

Last edited by Interested Party; 23rd September 2020 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 01:42 AM   #8
blindside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party
I hoped this would show up on the site. It looked like a converted bayonet but as mentioned before the cross section was wrong. Then there the snake motif to make matters more confusing. Then I thought possibly a pedang lurus for a second and finally a hunting sword. It confused me to the point I tried to grab it just to take a look at the metal for a bit of an answer but the price jumped at the last second. I was blindsided. Good job!

What can you see as far as the structure of the steel and construction methods?

Is the tang peened or threaded?
The tang is threaded, that metal loop is the threaded to hold the guard in place. I have not tried to fully disassemble the hilt.

The guard and decorative elements are non-magnetic but feel heavier than tin, maybe a white brass?

The metal of the blade doesn't appear to be notable.