Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 16th April 2021, 12:59 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Scottish Belt Pistol

I have had this pistol for more years than I can recall, and as firearms are not really a topic I know much on, I would appreciate any insight from you guys who know them well.

Obviously it is a belt pistol (clip on side) and by JD Dougall of Glasgow (maybe a relative ? so is certainly Scottish.
The lion face on the butt is interesting.
I have no idea the bore.

Any ideas?
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2021, 08:05 AM   #2
corrado26

James Dalziel Dougall, gunmaker and fish-hook maker 1830-1875, Glasgow, 23 Gordon Street
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2021, 12:31 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
James Dalziel Dougall, gunmaker and fish-hook maker 1830-1875, Glasgow, 23 Gordon Street
Thank you so much Udo!! I figured this pistol c. 1840's but seems with that range likely later.
Old 16th April 2021, 06:23 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Very nice pistol; solid ... and in pristine condition.
Easy to figure out the bore; introduce your index finger into the barrel ... and take a guess .
Sorry Jim, couldn't hold it .
Looking at the barrel and by what we see out there of Dougall, must be a large caliber, like a 54 bore (.44) .
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2021, 06:36 PM   #5
fernando

... Amd those would be proof marks ? ...

Attached Images

Old 16th April 2021, 11:28 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Very nice pistol; solid ... and in pristine condition.
Easy to figure out the bore; introduce your index finger into the barrel ... and take a guess .
Sorry Jim, couldn't hold it .
Looking at the barrel and by what we see out there of Dougall, must be a large caliber, like a 54 bore (.44) .

LOL! good one Nando!
Old 18th April 2021, 06:57 PM   #7
rickystl

Hi Jim

That's a very nice pistol. And appears in good condition. With the exception of the wood grip, it's all metal construction is reminiscent of the earlier all metal construction Scottish pistols. Often, collectors consider Scottish made guns to be rare compared to their British counterparts. There were simply less gunsmiths working during this period.
Your initial guess of the 1840's period was not far off. My guess, with the all metal construction, captured ramrod, and what appears to be a hook-style breech, might place the pistol in the 1850-60 era.
Two questions:

1 Is the barrel rifled or smooth bore ?
2 Is the barrel and breech/plug of the hook-style ? In other words, is there an easy way to unfasten the barrel and simply lift it off the stock ? The breech tang and barrel/plug being seperate pieces ?

Thanks. The pistol, especially if Scottish made, is a nice collectors piece.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 07:23 PM   #8
fernando

How's that for a pertinent set of questions, Jim ?
C'mon, show us what you are worth ... gun wise .
Old 21st April 2021, 04:56 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks very much Rick!
I dont have access to the pistol right now, but I really appreciate your insights!
Actually I was attracted to the pistol because of the obvious notion of ancestral connection...............J.D. Dougall, my name McDougall. My great great grandfather grew up in Glasgow, where the pistol was made.

Very good questions, and I will try to get the answers as soon as I can get to the pistol.

All very best regards
Jim
Old 21st April 2021, 10:44 AM   #10
fernando

Jim, for your perusal, and in case you are not yet aware, here is a brief background on the ingenious Dougall (gun makers) family; from where you can pick the member who made your pistol ...

There were six gunmakers in the Dougall family. They were: John Dougall; J. D. Dougall Sr.; and J.D. Dougall’s sons; John Dougall, J. D. Dougall Jr., and Norman Dougall. J. D. Sr. being the inventor of the Lockfast.
James Dalziel (J. D.) Dougall Sr. was born in 1819. His gun making business has its roots in his father’s fishing tackle business. While J. D. Dougall used the 1760 establishment date in his advertising. Boothroyd states that John Dougall (J. D.’s father) started his business in1808 as a fishing and fowling maker, later to specialize in needles and fishing hooks.
The following listing “Fishing & Fowling, Tackle Makers, Dougal John, 83, Tron-gate” appears in The Commercial Directory of Scotland and Ireland 1820-21 & 22. Then moving to 88 Trongate in 1825. In 1830, again relocating to 52 Argyle Arcade and listed and J and J Dougall Fishing-Tackle Manufacturer and Gunmaker.
In 1841, the company name was changed to James D. Dougall, Fishing-Tackle Manufacturer and Gunmaker .
Old 21st April 2021, 10:15 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Jim, for your perusal, and in case you are not yet aware, here is a brief background on the ingenious Dougall (gun makers) family; from where you can pick the member who made your pistol ...

There were six gunmakers in the Dougall family. They were: John Dougall; J. D. Dougall Sr.; and J.D. Dougall’s sons; John Dougall, J. D. Dougall Jr., and Norman Dougall. J. D. Sr. being the inventor of the Lockfast.
James Dalziel (J. D.) Dougall Sr. was born in 1819. His gun making business has its roots in his father’s fishing tackle business. While J. D. Dougall used the 1760 establishment date in his advertising. Boothroyd states that John Dougall (J. D.’s father) started his business in1808 as a fishing and fowling maker, later to specialize in needles and fishing hooks.
The following listing “Fishing & Fowling, Tackle Makers, Dougal John, 83, Tron-gate” appears in The Commercial Directory of Scotland and Ireland 1820-21 & 22. Then moving to 88 Trongate in 1825. In 1830, again relocating to 52 Argyle Arcade and listed and J and J Dougall Fishing-Tackle Manufacturer and Gunmaker.
In 1841, the company name was changed to James D. Dougall, Fishing-Tackle Manufacturer and Gunmaker .

Thank you so much Fernando!! Fascinating detail, and certainly adds great dimension to the circumstances of this pistol.....you are always a super slueth at finding this stuff! Very much appreciated, and will add more on those questions at first opportunity. I am not a 'gun guy' ..but Im learnin'
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:13 AM   #12
fernando

I didn't want to 'bore' you with further details but, these guys were really INGENIOUS.
The (Mc)Dougall blood, you know .
Old 23rd April 2021, 12:36 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
I didn't want to 'bore' you with further details but, these guys were really INGENIOUS.
The (Mc)Dougall blood, you know .
Thank you Sir!