Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2023, 10:41 PM   #1
Bryce

Default 4th Light Dragoons Regimental Sword

G'day Guys,
This is the 4thLD regimental pattern sword of Lt Col Alexander Low. Low was with the 4thLD in the "Charge of the light brigade". On his return from Crimea in 1856 he ordered this sword from Wilkinsons. It has all the bells and whistles with a toledo blade etched with the regiment's badge, battle honours and Low's crest and motto. It also has a special guard marked to the 4thLD's. I have found three other examples of these 4thLD regimental pattern swords. One is in private hands, one is in the collection of the National War Museum of Scotland and the other is in the collection of the National Army Museum in London. The best part is there are several photos of Low taken by Roger Fenton in Crimea and even a later photo of Low with this sword.
Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 02:29 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

What a beautiful and excitingly important sword Bryce!!!
Your collection of examples of swords with stellar provenance is not only remarkable, but astounding! I cannot thank you enough for always sharing them so openly with us here. Its better than a museum!!!!

While this sword of course was not carried in the 'Charge' itself, it belonged to this most important officer later, and by that virtue offers us distinct connection to someone 'who was there'. That to me is a most exciting dynamic.

In "Hell Riders" (Terry Brighton, 2004) Captain Alexander Low is mentioned a number of times, notably he was duty field officer of the day Oct.25th 1854 and was the first to notice Russians had moved up at about 530 AM near the picket at Kamara. (p.82)

During the 'Charge' it was noted that he was carrying a saber "..of considerably more than regulation length, and dispatched eleven Russians".
This was after the formation had gone through the guns, and the 4th Dragoons went at the gunners 'with vengeance' (p.156).

It seems the horses were quite blown in the Charge and as they rode, Capt. Thomas Hutton was severely wounded by a musket ball in his right leg (p.134), he called to Capt Low.....who told him....."stay to your saddle! No use to go back now, you'll be killed!
Many horses had been killed, and troopers took shelter behind their dead mounts as Russian snipers were picking off dismounted men who were unable to grab riderless horses.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 04:24 PM   #3
Bryce

Thanks Jim,
Here are a couple of the photos of him in Crimea taken by Fenton. In the group photo he is the guy straddling the chair and in the other he is in the middle, lounging in the wheelbarrow. As you say this isn't the sword he carried in the charge, but it would seem to be the sword he wished he'd had. He even had it service sharpened.
Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Old 1st January 2024, 01:24 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

He looks like a pretty burly guy! and no doubt was quite a swordsman! strictly business. I found it interesting that the sword he was carrying in the charge was noted as more substantial than the others typically carried at that time.
Could he have had an 1853?
Sounds like his dander was up pretty good as the 4th stormed through the guns, and the Russian gunners were scrambling as he took out eleven!
It sounds suspect that such a specific number is given.....but what is certain is that he must have seemed a demon from hell to those guys as he tore through them.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2024, 09:34 PM   #5
Bryce

G'day Jim,

Low's nickname was "Beefy".

There is a photo of him with a sword taken in 1854. I don't know if I have permission to share it, so I will hold off posting it. When you zoom in on the hilt, it looks to be either a 4 bar hilt or even possibly a symmetrical hilt. The resolution isn't the best, so I can't be certain, but it does look to be non-regulation as described.
Cheers,
Bryce