Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th February 2018, 07:01 PM   #1
archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_M
This barrel was 100% etched in the past. It is made from pattern welded steel and the only purpose of the pattern is to be beautiful. I have different etchants receipies from the past, but they all sound very toxic, with quicksilver and so on. If you are interested, I have a pdf about pattern welded Barrel restoration for you. The fine thing is, the guide is from early 19th ct. and describes the old way to stain a barrel.

Roland
Hello Roland,
I sent you an Email thru Forum and would enjoy any information you might be able to provide. I'm currently using more prolonged Etching to get the barrel etched evenly where time and mild repeated cleanings have made it more shallow. The barrel is showing a sort of sideways W pattern and some of the joints where sections were forged together. Yes we all will benefit from more knowledge. A photo from Figiel Zig Zag Pattern. Thank you, Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 02:02 PM   #2
Pukka Bundook

Roland,

You know more about this than I do, and cannot think I could add anything to what you describe above.
I did not know if all Indian barrels were etched, as I have a couple that are very smooth and uniform, and show no pattern either.

I should try an etch on a hidden area.
It appears I need more books! :-)

Steve,

That barrel is becoming very vibrant!
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 02:35 PM   #3
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
Roland,

You know more about this than I do, and cannot think I could add anything to what you describe above.
I did not know if all Indian barrels were etched, as I have a couple that are very smooth and uniform, and show no pattern either.

I should try an etch on a hidden area.
It appears I need more books! :-)

Steve,

That barrel is becoming very vibrant!

Hello Steve,

Her is the link to the "DamascusRestorationandRefinish.pdf" for you and add the link here in the thread. The results look very professional.

https://www.datafilehost.com/d/48547375

And another one about Barrel strength.

https://www.datafilehost.com/d/1b05bc93

If you try an etch on a hidden area, I would suggest a salt instead of acid, because it is less destructive. A mild solution of Iron(III) chloride (I dont like it but others got very good results with it) or Sodiumpersulfate (~10 grams on 100 millilitre distilled warm water (40-50°C), barrel should be warmed up with hot water from the water-tab). This is easy to remove without traces and brings out every tiny detail of the pattern. You can ask Sajen,in case you dont trust me.

Btw. it is hard to see from pictures but British barrels or European pattern welded barrels in generell seems to have no relief etching, only a staining.

It would be really interesting, to find out the true reason why Indian pattern welded barrels are deep etched? It could also simply be just a question of fashion.

More books are always good but I afraid, you will not learn more about restoration. What you need is a good validated guide. I hope "DamascusRestorationandRefinish" will help you, this guide has been done by pros.

Kind regards,
Roland

Last edited by Roland_M; 15th February 2018 at 04:09 PM.
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 04:07 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_M
Hello Steve,

Her is the link to the "DamascusRestorationandRefinish.pdf" for you and add the link here in the thread. The results look very professional.

https://www.file-upload.net/download...inish.pdf.html

More books are always good but I afraid, you will not learn more about restoration. What you need is a good validated guide. I hope "DamascusRestorationandRefinish" will help you, this guide has been done by pros.

Kind regards,
Roland
Roland,

Thanks for showing the link to this informative piece. I think it will find wider application than just gun barrels.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Roland,

Thanks for showing the link to this informative piece. I think it will find wider application than just gun barrels.

Ian.

Sorry Ian, the first file hoster is crap. I try another one, now it works.
again:

restoration guide:
https://www.datafilehost.com/d/48547375

barrel strength:
https://www.datafilehost.com/d/1b05bc93

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 04:27 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Roland,

The first link worked for me on the second try. The second link works well too.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 03:09 AM   #7
Richard Furrer

Default Pattern weld pattern

Archer,
Just saw the thread...quite a complex bit of welding there. The difference I see in this to other "orange section" welding (the round converging part) is that the center has a coil or jelly roll.
The zigzag are good, not as "ziggy" as the one in Dr. Figiel's book, but that does not bother me.

I would not mind some macro photos of the orange sections..a few of them to compare how the pattern evolves.

Makes me want to make one.
Ric
Richard Furrer is offline   Reply With Quote