Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th May 2020, 07:03 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Mexican Espada Machete Sword

When I first saw this listing, it was posted as a "Mexican Fantasy Sword," however it seemed to be a notch above the tourist items one usually sees coming out of South and Central America and it more closely resembled the German and Collins made swords of the 1890s and 1900s.
I then looked up the maker and found out that his family had been making swords for approx. 234 years in Mexico and that Poncho Villa carried a sword made by A.Argon.This sword was made by Austreberto Argon with the address of J.P. Garcia 18, Oaxaca; the family moved there in approx. 1915.
Austreberto Argon died in 1955 and so I am guessing that my sword was made between 1915 and 1955, probably in the 40s or 50s because of the aluminum guard. It is a beautifully made, well balanced, sharp sword, with a well defined detailed pommel, reptile skin handle with wire coupled with a fantastically embroidered scabbard.
If anyone can confirm or correct my guesses, and add any information, I would appreciate it.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote