Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th March 2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Fernando K

Default Damascus Saber for appreciation / Sable de Damasco para apreciación

This is a saber circa 1870, sold by a Buenos Aires's trader and built by Kirschbaum (stamped with "Casco" or "Yelmo" ) that has a Damascus blade. We would like to know if the damascus is legitimate or a fake. It is noteworthy that in the picture with scrolls the background does not show the damascus. I have seen several damascus imitations in pocket pistols barrels from same period.

Sincerely,
Fernando K

Se trata de un sable circa 1870, vendido por una casa importadora de Buenos Aires construído por Kirschbaum (marca "Casco" o "Yelmo") con hoja con damasco. Querríamos saber si el damasco es legítimo o una imitación. Sobre todo me llama la atención que en el dibujo de las volutas el fondo no muestre el damasco. He visto la imitación en pistolas de bolsillo de la misma época.

Afectuosamente,
Fernando K
Attached Images

Fernando K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Fernando K

Hi all:

Please have turned this thread because I hope some of you opinion, is more modest than the subject ........

Affectionately. Fernando K
Old 29th March 2012, 04:07 PM   #3
spiral

Lovely German damascus, its Real

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 04:11 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I wonder why Jim doesn't have a say here ... for one.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fernando, thank you for the vote of confidence my friend!
Actually, I believe Spiral is correct and that there was a type of Damascus imitation going on by the latter 19th century. I think in Russia it was called 'bulat', but cant recall offhand (I think its discussed in Figiel, and some of the others). Solingen by the end of the 19th and well into the 20th was heavily supplying Mexico, Central and South America with edged weapons so this extremely handsome example is understandably well represented.
I prefer not to use the term 'fake' for this type of Damascus, as it is an example of European interpretation in thier efforts to produce this elusive and mysterious steel whose secrets were long hidden with the heritage of the Middle and Near East, Central Asia and India.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Fernando K

Hola, Jim

Solamente pregunto porque el damasco no se vé en el fondo del dibujo con volutas o "scroll"; tampoco en el "recazo"

Afectuosamente. Fernando K

Hello, Jim

Only ask because the damask not go in the bottom of the drawing with scrolls or "scroll", nor in the "recazo"

Affectionately. Fernando K