Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th August 2020, 08:18 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default OLD PIRA

Hello,

a pira from Lamitan, Basllan. A gift to our family by the family of my sister-in-law (who was from the Yakan tribe) in the 60s.

Enjoy,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2020, 04:29 PM   #2
Lee
EAAF Staff

Very nice and similar in the core parts to that I posted in your other thread. The additional wrappings on your family's example surely show evidence of a well cherished blade.

With your family connections, could you inform me of how these were carried and used in the times after WWII? Were they seen primarily as a weapon or were these routinely used and carried tools for everyday tasks (such as machetes are in tropical Latin America)?
Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2020, 12:43 AM   #3
tanaruz

Default OLD PIRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Very nice and similar in the core parts to that I posted in your other thread. The additional wrappings on your family's example surely show evidence of a well cherished blade.

With your family connections, could you inform me of how these were carried and used in the times after WWII? Were they seen primarily as a weapon or were these routinely used and carried tools for everyday tasks (such as machetes are in tropical Latin America)?

Hello,

Thank you for your very kind words. In my experience during the 80s, I often see piras as being carried around their waist (life the barungs/kris). Sometimes, when they are seen on the laps of men(when they are sitting down). It's been used both a weapon and an agricultural blade. It is the favored blade weapon of the Yakan people of Basilan.

Regards

Yves
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote