Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th March 2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Newsteel

Sorry but this is not the tajong (as we know from northern Malaysia or southern Thailand). All is not the right form, the blade is recently made not by a pandai (empu).
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 02:06 AM   #2
Sajen

Thank's for the open words from you! So I've paid a lot of money for a nicely worked selut.
Of course I've seen that the hilt isn't a fine work but have thought it's a simple form of a Tajong hilt. Badly paid apprentice's premium.
sajen
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 04:19 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Don't worry Sajen, i think we all have at least one such learning lesson in all our collections somewhere.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Sajen

I was one of the low ball bidders on that piece and it is an interesting piece but as stated above the hilt was recent looking and the blade was of questionable quality. Was surprized it went for that final price.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Sajen

I was one of the low ball bidders on that piece and it is an interesting piece but as stated above the hilt was recent looking and the blade was of questionable quality. Was surprized it went for that final price.

Thank you for your mail,
it seems that I am not the only one who have not a good knowledge about Tajong keris so it goes for a price like this. I ask the seller if he can make a second change offer to the next two bidders and I pay him the different. He agree and I have to wait now two days.
sajen
Old 25th March 2009, 11:49 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

I've spent a lot of time looking at the pics of this keris.

I will preface my remarks by putting it right up front that I am no expert on tajong style keris. Yes, I own a few, some old, some more recent, but I am certainly no expert.

However, if I look carefully at this keris, what I can see is this:-

the blade shows grain, and a surface that does not appear to be artificially aged; the ada-ada is the same style as a tajong, the other ricikan look as if they have been done from memory, without a clear guide; the waves are inconsistent. I feel that this blade was made by a smith, rather than by a pandai keris. In other words, to me it looks like the product of a fairly unskilled person,possibly working in a rural area, working to the limit of his ability.

the handle shows uneven patina and open grain, and probably some wear; I do not think that this handle is anywhere near recent---always depending on what we mean by "recent".

the scabbard is worn and heavily patinated; from what I can see in the photos, it has age.

the pendongkok is well crafted, and a nice thing.

My assessment of this keris is that it does have some age, but that it is a not a high quality production, and is non-typical.

As such, and bearing in mind the problems of buying from photos, I don't really think that the price paid is too extreme yes, certainly I would not have gambled on it, principally because it obviously lacks quality, and I do not buy for rareity, but for quality.

But I don't think I can go along with the general feeling of condemnation of this keris.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 12:58 PM   #7
BluErf

Yes, I agree the piece has some age, and the price is not outrageously high. Real good old tajongs are very rare these days, and can cost a lot more than the price that went for this specimen here.

Just to share what a competently made tajong shd look like. Blade-wise, just imagine any decent pandai saras blade (I didn't take pictures of the blade).
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I've spent a lot of time looking at the pics of this keris.

I will preface my remarks by putting it right up front that I am no expert on tajong style keris. Yes, I own a few, some old, some more recent, but I am certainly no expert.

However, if I look carefully at this keris, what I can see is this:-

the blade shows grain, and a surface that does not appear to be artificially aged; the ada-ada is the same style as a tajong, the other ricikan look as if they have been done from memory, without a clear guide; the waves are inconsistent. I feel that this blade was made by a smith, rather than by a pandai keris. In other words, to me it looks like the product of a fairly unskilled person,possibly working in a rural area, working to the limit of his ability.

the handle shows uneven patina and open grain, and probably some wear; I do not think that this handle is anywhere near recent---always depending on what we mean by "recent".

the scabbard is worn and heavily patinated; from what I can see in the photos, it has age.

the pendongkok is well crafted, and a nice thing.

My assessment of this keris is that it does have some age, but that it is a not a high quality production, and is non-typical.

As such, and bearing in mind the problems of buying from photos, I don't really think that the price paid is too extreme yes, certainly I would not have gambled on it, principally because it obviously lacks quality, and I do not buy for rareity, but for quality.

But I don't think I can go along with the general feeling of condemnation of this keris.

Hello Mr. Maisey,

thank you for the elaborate comment. Now I will feel better when the second high bidder don't take the second change offer. Of course I've seen that it isn't a high class Tajong, the carving of the handle is to crude for this. It have been my thought that it is a simple form of a Tajong and like you guess manufactured in a rural area. Since I don't have a Tajong until now it will be a placeholder until I can get a better one.
Tank's again ang regards,
sajen