Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th September 2020, 03:41 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce
G'day Jim,
I came across a photo of the swords displayed at Belvoir Castle. Given that it is the ancestral home of the Dukes of Rutland and that this family raised the 21st Light Dragoons in 1760, it is likely that these swords were for that regiment. The 21st LD's were disbanded in 1763 and this may explain why there are so many still present in the castle. These swords all have straight blades that taper down to an asymmetrical point, unlike your own clipped point example.
Cheers,
Bryce

PS I just noticed the difference in pommel and guard attachment between these swords and your own. As you said this may mean yours is later than 1760.

Wow Bryce, I had not noticed this..........mine has the ring around base of pommel......kinda looks Scottish? Is that not like placed on basket hilts?
The others all seem to go into aperture in pommel.
What pushes me toward post 1760 is the pommel shape, and the slotted guard with this clipped point blade. That pommel ring just threw me a curve.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 06:53 AM   #2
Bryce

G'day Jim,
Look at this:
https://americansocietyofarmscollect...h-Behind-t.pdf
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 07:32 AM   #3
Bryce

Here is another like yours I found on the web.
Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Old 17th September 2020, 02:39 PM   #4
Will M

Hello Bryce I take it you are saying "pommel and guard attachment" can date these swords and post 1760 would have the guard with a ring just forward of the pommel?
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 07:40 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Bryce thank you!!! I had heard of Potters's but had no idea. I think I have been obsessed with the clipped point.
In this incredible article (again I cannot thank you enough), it is noted that the 'Potter' was based on the British 'pattern' 1756 ?
Could this have been a 'light dragoon' design with the ring around pommel base often seen on basket hilts?

Could this be a 'Potter'....but I found it in London ?
The article shows a trooper with a 'captured' one.
Old 17th September 2020, 07:58 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Here is another like yours I found on the web.
Cheers,
Bryce
This looks almost identical! Is it identified?
Old 17th September 2020, 11:55 PM   #7
Bryce

G'day Will,
I don't know. I am just speculating that these swords with the ring attachment may be later, as this type of sword seems to have been in use during the American war of independence.

Jim,
The similar sword is for sale somewhere in the US. It is described as a revolutionary war dragoon sword. That article suggests that the "Potter" swords were based on British swords and also that some of the British forces were using "Potter" swords as well, so it wouldn't be surprising that you found your sword in London. Can you have a look at your sword to see if it has a Potter stamp?
Cheers,
Bryce
Old 18th September 2020, 09:59 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
G'day Will,
I don't know. I am just speculating that these swords with the ring attachment may be later, as this type of sword seems to have been in use during the American war of independence.

Jim,
The similar sword is for sale somewhere in the US. It is described as a revolutionary war dragoon sword. That article suggests that the "Potter" swords were based on British swords and also that some of the British forces were using "Potter" swords as well, so it wouldn't be surprising that you found your sword in London. Can you have a look at your sword to see if it has a Potter stamp?
Cheers,
Bryce

Thanks Bryce, apparently James Potter of New York City was a loyalist and making these swords for the British cavalry assigned in America. The swords were extremely favored and acquired by a number of the Patriot forces.
The term POTTER sword became sort of a standard.
I wish I could see the blade but the pitting is profuse overall unfortunately.
Potter began in 1778 and ceased in 1781 when he removed to Nova Scotia.
This material I found last night after digging through all the references I could find.

I think the type of ring attachment on my sword is more in line with those on basket hilts of c. 1750s including certain other dragoon sword types. It is most curious to see this type pommel ring with the tall olive pommel and four slot guard which seem more toward 1770.
Old 19th September 2020, 01:44 AM   #9
Hotspur

As noted in the ASAC article. there were other makers making similar swords. The Potter swords were made to a pattern satisfying British wants, so it stands to reason they mimic the English swords.

Look also to the Hanoverian influences to the egg shape pommels and slotted hilts.

Cheers
GC
Attached Images

Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote