Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th February 2019, 04:15 AM   #12
Nathaniel

Hello Charles,

Lovely Tai knife. 🐓 Nice iron mounts and massive blade. Rare to find the 1/2 thick blade, but you do see it with some Tai knives and swords. Definitely a functional piece, but extra care put into its construction, which show it was not just a poor farmer's tool, even though primarily used for utility functions. And I'm sure if needed it would make a devastating blow to the flesh and bone!

Regarding your main inquiry, nice pattern weld...certainly looks to me like a large quench zone with an insert edge. That is just my vote. You can clearly see the evidence of the quality of the blade with the round chip, not a "V" cut in the edge towards the tip.

Interesting the decorative pattern at the spine at the forte...I haven't seen that particular pattern before....typically you find horizontal lines =, X's, sometimes dots :, or inset copper or brass square or rectangles. Fun piece, never can say you've seen it all!

Last edited by Nathaniel; 26th February 2019 at 04:46 AM.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote