Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th October 2020, 04:59 PM   #1
manishkulkarni

Default Info on recently purchased MKII Kukri 1917

Hi All,

I picked up a couple of Kukris at the Kempton fair yesterday and just wanted some reassurance on the MKII that it's an original - I've referred to an earlier very elaborate thread on kukris by Spiral which seems to imply that MKII usually had steel bolsters, and brass were sadly fakes - but with some exceptions. I also gather eBay sells a lot of fake kukris (as it does with pretty much everything else!)

So here're some snaps - the blade is about 34cm and total length 48cm (not accounting for the curve just to be clear, just straight line measurements). Must admit I'm a newbie to collecting swords and these are my first kukris, but this one seems particularly large and substantial in my hand! I've googled some other MKIIs and they seem to be slightly smaller in size. The condition overall I'd say is very good including the scabbard.

Would be very grateful if you Gurus are able to confirm the authenticity (or reject hope not!) The markings are self-explanatory - Cossipore India Store Department 1917 etc. 37 I believe is the serial number?

The other Jodhpur I purchased from a fine gentleman and not for the price on the label - a good bargain I reckon!

Many thanks.
Attached Images

manishkulkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Kmaddock

To be honest there are elements I do not like

I do not like how the Cho/Notch is not finished
The different fonts on the 1917 is worrying
and the scabbard does not look 103 years old to me

also handle looks to be v large

when I am doing purchasing if 3 or more things look incorrect I walk away unless the price in insanely good.

Just my opinion but do not be disheartened if it is a replica you have to pay for your education in this hobby, hopefully I am wrong on all my points
Regards,
Ken
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2020, 10:16 PM   #3
RAMBA

Unfortunately the Mk2 is a much later "reproduction" - some might use the word fake. These are turning up from time to time. Even auction houses sell them as the real deal Looks nothing like a Mk2 should.

http://sirkukri.blogspot.com/2013/08...ary-kukri.html

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19597

The Jodhpur looks fine. The consensus now is that these were made towards the end of WW2 or just after.

http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...-Jodphur-Kukri

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26021

Last edited by RAMBA; 6th October 2020 at 09:07 AM.
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 10:04 AM   #4
manishkulkarni

Thanks very much guys, appreciate your no-nonse words of wisdom and I agree this hobby comes at a cost of self-loading at times! Let me read up and digest, but I intend to ask for a refund. We collect there objects for the emotions that they evoke and fakes/repros have no space in that realm - I don't need any fancy wall decorations to impress guests!

I bought these from a very respectable and established antique business down south, and the guys were lovely and there wasn't any hard sell involved. It was me who was a bit excited at the sight of such a substantial WW1 kukri esp with ISD stamp. So this I think was a case of them probably not knowing this wasn't genuine (call me naive!).

I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 8th October 2020, 04:38 PM   #5
manishkulkarni

The antique shop guys responded straight away and offered a full refund! Thanks guys, truly grateful for your very valuable guidance! 💐
Old 10th October 2020, 12:47 AM   #6
MitsuWa.

I could not figure out how the hangar straps on your scabbard could possibly work, but I see it was made or assembled upside down compared to the original example posted previously in a link.
MitsuWa. is offline   Reply With Quote