Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th November 2023, 02:33 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Tulwar hilt with kora type blade

This type of 'kora' (from the distinctive Nepalese blade form) is believed from regions in Almora, in Uttarakhand, India , and is used in sacrificial ritual, as suggested by the 'eye' and the remains of red paint in pommel dish interior.

I think these were termed 'khonra' .

These regions were held by Gurkhas from 1790, but in 1816 became an administrative British holding. The combined Indo-Persian hilt with kora type blade is most interesting, and these have come up for discussion a number of times over the years.

While looking into these regions I discovered they are located near the southern edge of Kumaon, a place name which brought to mind a well known book I recalled which intrigued me many years ago, "The Man Eaters of Kumaon" by Jim Corbett (1944). It is always interesting when researching many ethnographic arms, these kinds of associations that bring to mind the adventurous stories and history from other areas in our own pasts, and trigger such memories.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 11th November 2023 at 02:46 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2023, 10:53 AM   #2
RAMBA

I agree. There are a number of Kora and kukri that have been traced back to this area.
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2023, 12:52 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBA View Post
I agree. There are a number of Kora and kukri that have been traced back to this area.
Exactly, and on that note, in discussions a while back there were examples of kukri's which were also mounted with these Indo Persian tulwar hilts. This notable Gurhka influence of course reflects how in the field of ethnographic edged weapons there are no hard line boundaries geographically or otherwise in the diffusion of distinct forms or their elements.

It would be great to see more examples of these hybrids of Nepali and Indian forms, and any provenance details or thoughts on their character. It does not seem we see examples of kukri very much these days, nor even more so, the kora. These are important weapon forms that are rich in the dynamic history of the Indian subcontinent.......lets see 'em !!!!!
Old 18th November 2023, 11:21 PM   #4
kai

Question

Hello Jim,

I'd also like to see more antique khukuri (or Nepali blades in general) being posted/discussed!

What are the stylistic indicators that place these examples into the Kumaon region or even Almora/Uttarakhand in general? What is known about the ethnic groups that actually utilized these blades in these regions?

Ok, I'll bite: What about this rather heavy blade (attached below; pics courtesy of Rick)? Does the inscription help?

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2023, 12:25 AM   #5
RobT

Default Upside Down

kai,

This is a Nepalese army inscription. You show it upside down. Right side up it reads: Surjadal Company (Unit) 8, (Weapon) 48, Shree Tin Chandra. The vertical line between the unit number and the weapon number is just to separate the two numbers. The inscription was put there before Chandra's death in 1929. He had a lot of enemies so nobody was going to use that inscription after he died.

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2023, 02:16 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
Hello Jim,

I'd also like to see more antique khukuri (or Nepali blades in general) being posted/discussed!

What are the stylistic indicators that place these examples into the Kumaon region or even Almora/Uttarakhand in general? What is known about the ethnic groups that actually utilized these blades in these regions?

Ok, I'll bite: What about this rather heavy blade (attached below; pics courtesy of Rick)? Does the inscription help?

Regards,
Kai

Hello Kai,
Actually the attribution to Almora was speculative, and it was from notes with these photos, so my post was based on that, and as mentioned I was hoping that others would come in with either support or correction to that attribution. Specific and confined attribution of course is not typically likely with ethnographic weapons, especially in the Indian subcontinent.

With the tulwar hilted khukuri, these were discussed numerous times over the years, and guys who were notably authoritative on these weapons seemed to acknowledge there were likely 'souvenir' examples created (most more obvious such as the 1927 Bannerman items) and others which were military or parade/ceremonial.

The use of tulwar hilts from Nepal and into Bengali regions would not be unusual combined with these traditional blades as the tulwar hilt was well known throughout both. It seems military versions of kukri with these hilts were known in Nepal before Anglo-Nepali war 1814-16, so perhaps later examples were somewhat in accord with those, and members with more knowledge on these areas of arms would elaborate.

Thank you for responding, and Rob thank you as well for the insights on the inscription on Kai's example. Definitely look forward to learning more on these!
Attached Images

Old 19th November 2023, 06:35 PM   #7
Norman McCormick

Hi Jim,
Don't know if you remember this one of mine. Jens suggested the figure was a hunter with a boomerang type weapon as shown in the photo of a panoply. The other detail may represent a parasol although no definite conclusion was reached in a previous discussion.
Kind Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2023, 06:32 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Norman,
I absolutely do recall this outstanding example! and it seems similar motif discussed in Elgood, but no consensus on geographic or tribal associations.
Thank you for posting this again! We must keep looking for answers!

Jim
Old 23rd November 2023, 03:24 PM   #9
shayde78

Great thread, Jim!

I stumbled across this article that briefly references the Nepal influence on the region. The article also explores metal-hilted kukri and some kora in general, providing many examples with provenance.

I'm curious to get everyone's thoughts

https://sirkukri.blogspot.com/2014/1...uri-kukri.html
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2023, 04:20 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much Shayde! and what an amazing article you linked!
There is ALWAYS so much more to learn, and in the 25 years Ive been here I have never stopped learning. While through research and discussions Ive gained a great core of knowledge, mostly in knowing where to look for things, I feel I have barely scratched the surface.

I loved the closing 'mission' statement,
"...to share a passion and knowledge,to learn and educate, encourage and inspire, appreciate and serve"

I honestly believe those words are pretty much the mantra here through the shared knowledge and research of the many specialized members, who openly and willingly share their findings in great discussions.

Onward we go,
As always................more research to be done !

Thank you again!
Jim
Old 2nd December 2023, 09:44 AM   #11
Mercenary

I am sorry for Google translate:
"...given that Nepal was cut off from normal cultural connections with the rest of India in the early 13th century by the Muslim invasion of Bengal and Bihar, it can be assumed that by the time of the extensive Muslim conquests this form of hilt was already widespread throughout culturally and religiously unified India. Returning to Nepalese sculpture, it should be noted that during the Muslim conquest of Bihar and Bengal at the beginning of the 13th century, as a result of the total extermination of Hindus and especially Brahmins, the latter fled to Nepal in such numbers that for a time they began to be perceived as a separate ethnic group. Even if by this time Nepal did not have the weapons typical of Northern India of that period, as a result of these events they should have appeared there. There is a very interesting and characteristic analogy here. At the end of the 18th century, a rebellion known as the rebellion of sannyasins and fakirs broke out in Bihar and Bengal against the oppression of the British administration. After the suppression of the uprising, the ascetics went to Nepal, settled there and also began to be perceived as a separate caste. As a result, Nepal ended up with so many weapons of Indian origin from the 17th and 18th centuries that this circumstance still puzzles researchers.
This assumption can also be confirmed by illustrations to the Buddhist treatise “Astasahasrika Prajnaparamita” (“Eight Thousand Prajnaparamita”), created in Bihar or Bengal at the end of the 12th century and transferred to Nepal at the beginning of the 13th century, apparently also as a result of the above events..."
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2023, 09:47 AM   #12
Mercenary

Astasahasrika Prajnaparamita
Attached Images

Old 2nd December 2023, 09:50 AM   #13
Mercenary

Simhanadalokeshvara, Nepal, 14-15 AC
Attached Images