Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd August 2023, 02:44 AM   #1
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
Is it a type of Moors Head?
Could be I suppose... It somehow reminds me of certain Greek or Roman depictions... Maybe some vague resemblance to gorgon faces/Medusa? Or maybe I'm seeing things...
Attached Images

werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2023, 04:35 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
Could be I suppose... It somehow reminds me of certain Greek or Roman depictions... Maybe some vague resemblance to gorgon faces/Medusa? Or maybe I'm seeing things...

Good observation! as noted earlier, these kinds of faces, figures turn up a lot on the neoclassic themes in various hilt designs, however not as much for 'markings' in use by makers in this frontal facial view. Most such markings seem to favor side view or profiles.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2023, 09:40 PM   #3
M ELEY

My 17th c. hanger with 'Medusa' head just for reference to classic designs on swords...or is it a harpy?
Attached Images

M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2023, 10:54 PM   #4
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY View Post
My 17th c. hanger with 'Medusa' head just for reference to classic designs on swords...or is it a harpy?
If we can classify it as a "hartsvanger" it could be a cherub.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2023, 12:46 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

That is an amazing hanger capn! and very much in line with the cherub, green man etc. themes popular in early 17th c. on hilts in England and France. Again, these are hilt theme figures, so unusual to see them in a blade as a punzone.
Its really difficult to place effective explanations for these kinds of figures in sword decoration but aside from all the rather elaborate and diverse notes on cherubim, the one I find most intriguing is the Biblical association with these figures holding the flaming sword. The cases of the 'flaming sword' blade (flammard) is of course seen in various cases which may have had this kind of symbolic association as well. Naturally none of these suppositions is explained in references so we can only speculate on these highly symbolic themes.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 24th August 2023 at 12:59 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2023, 05:11 AM   #6
M ELEY

Cherub sounds good to me! I had forgotten the smaller cherub faces at the mid-point of the knuckle bow of my sword and a few around the pommel. But not to distract from the amazing sword being discussed!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote